Technology (have we gone to far)

Huntkook

I'm sitting here reading the April Wyoming Wildlife magazine and in the magazine there's an article about people selling the GPS coordinates to trophy mule deer. There was a Wyoming house bill 5 that did not pass. That bill would have prohibited the selling of big game coordinates. I'm kinda on the fence about this. What's the difference between a guide taking you in or someone that's already done the work giving you the GPS coordinates? It's a business transaction.This is why I like DIY hunting you're doing all the work and I believe it's a more rewarding and unadulterated way to hunt. Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions.

Yes, we have gone too far.
Walmart has an app that will tell you the location of the nearest store. If you are going to buy GPS at least Wal-Mart guarantees a steak at the end, with GPS you might get bubkis.

I'm sitting here reading the April Wyoming Wildlife magazine and in the magazine there's an article about people selling the GPS coordinates to trophy mule deer. There was a Wyoming house bill 5 that did not pass. That bill would have prohibited the selling of big game coordinates. I'm kinda on the fence about this. What's the difference between a guide taking you in or someone that's already done the work giving you the GPS coordinates? It's a business transaction.This is why I like DIY hunting you're doing all the work and I believe it's a more rewarding and unadulterated way to hunt. Would like to hear your thoughts and opinions.

This isn't really new. mtmuley

If you do a diy hunt and get info from a friend that's hunted the area or from the area biologist about the location of game in that area, is this not kinda the same thing?

Or, you do a diy hunt and find the game on your own. Then you break out the rangefinder and dial in your scope and make the 800 yard shot. There's a lot of tech in that, as well.

I'm busted up so don't cut firewood anymore but i know where lots of supremo firewood is. You can back your truck up to the best buckskin dead standing and fill your truck 4 times without moving 50'. Just send $150. to Joey @ 666, Rape the Woods, Ut for USFS GPS numbers.

Last edited:
How about the people who are selling the GPS coordinates? Are they just being good entrepreneurs? Then why has Wyoming brought legislation trying to prohibit this? Technology is just part of the equation.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this really works, but if it's just a simple "here are the coordinances of buck, and pay this amount", then you have to be either a fool, or very trusting. Or just a trusting fool!
"You mean you didn't see the buck that I told you about? Must have already been shot or moved on! Sorry!".

This type of thing is nonsense, plain and simple. It's for the type who wants to tell everyone what an awesome hunt they went on, without having to do the work required. Wow, it's the Lord's day and I'm tetch aggravated already.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back