Caribou Gear

Az.Trail Camera Rule Change

dirtclod Az.

AZGFD is hosting a webcast and public forum on May 29,2018 @6pm pertaining to the use of trail cameras within 1/4 mile of a developed water source.www.azgfd.gov/webcast.I think that trail cams should not be allowed at any water hole/cowpond or developed water source.Questions can be submitted by e-mail during the forum at [email protected] ruling June 8-9,2018.Too many guides using too many cameras!

I haven't lived in AZ since the advent of trail cameras, so I don't understand, what is your objection to them? Rules like no camping within xyz distance of them makes sense, but why the objection to cameras? Would this rule apply to everyone or just hunters? Year 'round?

Guide sets up trail cams at every water hole in the area.Sits in camp with his NR hunters an waits for one of his cameras to remotely tell him of game at water hole #3.Guide looks at photos of animal and shows it to hunter,and off they go in his 4x4 to"hunt".Meanwhile someone has been sitting at water hole all day.Guide and "hunter" show up,shoot animal,pack it up and drive away.Ethical hunting?I think not.At least have cameras some distance from water sources.

If someone is sitting at a water hole all day, then what's the point of the camera? Not sure how the guide gets the photo - is cell coverage that good in Arizona backcountry now?

I'm just surprised it's gotten down to cameras now. But I hear what you are saying.

Can I still claim every waterhole in the unit with a few dozen old lawn chairs chained to a tree with a note saying "my waterhole" like before in AZ? That is definitely a cool AZ classy move. I mean, you know, I usually hunt one of the waterholes so if I show up then you are a rude punk for ignoring my very obvious note. UT is nice when I can park my unoccupied trailer to claim the camping spot for months at a time. Good luck in your hunts. Well, not at my waterholes. And my camping spots. Otherwise, good luck.

Lawnchairs chained to trees only if occumpanied by full cooler.Leave them as long as you want!dirtclod Az.

This one is from the outfitters abusing the Kaibab for deer. Hundreds of cameras for each outfitter and many on every water source. This rule change would make it illegal to use within 1/4 mile of water and for the purpose of taking game. Their position is that it is not fair chase to pin down the watering habits of animals. I have a few cams but don't really care one way or the other.

I wish they’d keep them out of hunting seasons entirely. In my opinion, when your hunting strategies are dictated by remote cameras capturing images when you aren’t present you are engaging in surveillance. Hunting, by contrast, requires the physical presence of the hunter.

I wish they’d keep them out of hunting seasons entirely. In my opinion, when your hunting strategies are dictated by remote cameras capturing images when you aren’t present you are engaging in surveillance. Hunting, by contrast, requires the physical presence of the hunter.

I can't disagree, but it will only get worse with drones next.

As with anything, everything in moderation. I have fun with my 1 game camera. :D

I've seen YouTube videos of guys talking about having 100 cameras out. Seems a bit crazy to me, but when an outfitted deer hunt in the best areas can cost upwards of $10k, I see how they afford them.

I have to agree with you. At first I didn't care so much but now it has been taken to the extreme where people are using 100s of cameras and services are selling locations and photos to "hunter". I'm not a fan. With all the other technological advances I think its too much. I know others will disagree, but I would like to see them removed from public land.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back