unit 34 New Mexico early archery

Jacack

After many years of getting the unsuccessful emails i got lucky and pulled a early season archery tag. I have never set foot in the unit or NM for that matter and looking to learn anything i can.

i have been pouring over topos and have a few areas that i like the look of but would be grateful if i can bounce those areas i have in mind off anyone that may have hunted there.

I will be driving out and have a buddy that plans to hunt with me for some of the season but i plan to stay the entire season if needed, we will be camping and hiking in, it appears it will be pretty hard to get way back as there seems to be alot of roads so i assume there will be alot of guys driving around.

this wont be my first elk hunt but i have been seriously unlucky with drawing in the past few years so its been awhile.

if anyone has any info they are willing to share i would be greatful and maybe can do some trading if they like saltwater fishing as i run a 42ft boat in south florida full time and my buddy that is hunting with me is a guide in south dakota

i know there are a ton of elk in the unit and seems everyone says just about every part has elk but i am looking for areas where we might not see as many hunters, we are both in good shape and ready to put the packs on and miles down.

thanks
Jared

I wish I had some info for you because a day fishing in Florida sounds like a blast!! But, I’ve never been to the unit. Good luck! I hope you have a great hunt! Welcome to the forum and post some pictures when you get back!

I had that tag in 2013. You'll see alot of elk every day, but getting close for a shot will be challenging. The closer to the 15th the better rutting activity. Congrats on the tag. I hope to hunt 34 again someday, but odds continue to get worse. In terms of wear to go, any of the national forest will hold elk, you literally can throw a dart. If you want some specific spots you can PM me. Sitting water is a great strategy that time of year. I passed 30+ cows, and a few small bulls in the 5 days I was there. I ended up eating the tag because I had to move my family from CA to CO. My partner took a cow, but he only had a few days as well. I feel like if you can hunt the full 15 days hard you'll get a good bull. Good luck and have fun. I'm jealous!:)

I've hunted it a bunch

roads aren't a problem, neither are houses
they will be bugling from day one if you're in the right spot
you won't be back packing
most Elk and most hunters are in the center of the unit

you can find every hunting spot you'll need from your recliner

First time poster here. I was just doing a little surfing and came across this thread, so I thought I would join in the fun. I pulled the same tag also this year, this will be my second time to get a tag early archery for 34 and as everybody has said there are Elk just about everywhere.

I'm no expert but if you want to send me a PM I can give you some info. that might help. Also, I chase pelagics on a regular bases out of Venice, LA. so I'm always open for something new, we might be able to do a little trading.

See ya there.

Good Luck!
Eric

I hunted 34 last year (muzzleloader) and the year before (2nd archery). Seems a lot of people got the "get away from the road" message, so places where I was planning to hike in had people lined up at the trail heads. I found good luck not too far from the road. My experience in the unit is pretty limited as I hunted the same general area for both hunts because it held elk (bulls) both during the rut and in the post rut period. Oddly enough, the easiest spot to access held the most elk activity during my archery hunt.

There are a lot of road hunters, although I'd imagine there will be fewer during a bow season. With that said, I know people who road hunt the bow season too and see elk.

Shoot me a pm if you'd like.

-Guy

How did your hunt go. I have a few spots lined up for this year first archery, but always looking for more.

Great unit. Pretty much as described. Elk all over the unit. You should have no problem finding elk. The holiday weekend will have people out and about and elk got quiet for a few days after that but honestly no reason to not be in elk every day.

I would hunt it every year if tags weren't so $$.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back