Why is it illegal?

mtmuley

Why is it illegal to pick up bighorn deadheads in Montana? Had someone ask me this today and have no clue why, or for how long the law has been in place. Anybody know? mtmuley

I think the logic is they don't want people shooting sheep, leaving them to rot, and then come back later and claim they found a dead head. By making dead heads illegal they deincentivise poaching. It also makes enforcement easier because any sheep in someones home that doesn't have a seal is illegal. I thinking they stopped plugging non-hunting sheep heads in 82'.

Last edited:
I think the logic is they don't want people shooting sheep, leaving them to rot, and then come back later and claim they found a dead head. By making dead heads illegal they deincentivise poaching. It also makes enforcement easier because any sheep in someones home that doesn't have a seal is illegal. I thinking they stopped plugging non-hunting sheep heads in 82'.

^^^This

Yep, pretty much sums it up. Trying to stem the illegal sheep head market.

I think, probably because of the Grand Slam/Jack O'Connor mystique, plus general short supply, means blackmarket bighorn heads are much more valuable than most rank-and-file horns and antlers. Plus the animal has to die to give them up. I remember bighorn deadheads getting plugged back in the early 80s, at least in Idaho. First time I ever heard of the process.

Because of the density of poachers in Montana... ;) You can keep them in most other states, and some of them don't even require plugs, although recommended.

I see no reason why you shouldn't be able to pick them up and get them plugged. Provide GPS coords, keep the dna from the plug cuttings, or something to track them. Not a big deal one way or the other, but its strange why its only sheep you can't keep.

We should do the same as Africa and shoot the poachers. That would put a damper on things.

Because the coonass hunter in Kansas told me that if he ended up killing two bucks on his archery hunt, he'd leave one head in the woods and come back for it during turkey season.

Because the coonass hunter in Kansas told me that if he ended up killing two bucks on his archery hunt, he'd leave one head in the woods and come back for it during turkey season.

And this is why game wardens in other states keep a close eye on Louisiana license plates.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back