Caribou Gear

Traveling to Alaska with firearms

LeeLewis

My brother is moving to Alaska for missionary work and we need to transport a revolver to Alaska. Is there a post/info concerning travel with firearms? We have no experience traveling by air or crossing borders with firearms. If anyone has a S&W 629 4inch barrel to sell we are looking for one for him. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

If you drive you have to fill out paperwork and present it at the border, if you fly you need to put your unloaded firearm in a locked hardcase, check it, and declare it to the gate agent when you check in. There are rules on the TSA website and on all airline websites.

99% sure Canada will NOT approve the transport of a handgun through their country.

If you are inclined to give it a try, you must contact RCMP and request an application to transit their country with the firearm. Firearm must remain in a locked box. Ammo must be in a separate locked box. Your transit time through Canada must be direct without stopovers aside - as described to me, 3 days.

If they do approve, you must stop on the US side Port of Entry and complete a form 4457 and that will act as a temp import/export of the firearm and also to establish it's original point of origin.

Flying direct from U.S. to U.S., the firearm must be in a secure locked box with the ammunition in its own boxed container. (may be inside the same case though no ammo free floating, in speed loaders, etc... keep them in the ammo cased box. Suggested to keep inside your luggage bag and when at the ticket counter, declare the firearm. They may have it inspected by an airport police or official or not.
This is the most simple route.

Shotguns and rifles are easy - fill out paperwork, present it at the border, pay your permit fee and go on your merry way. But it is nearly impossible for a non-resident to get a permit to possess a handgun in Canada. The Canadian government recommends people wanting to take handguns through Canada to Alaska are better off to ship them directly to someone with an FFL in Alaska rather than try to get a permit.

It would be way easier to just fly commercial and check it.

Shotguns and rifles are easy - fill out paperwork, present it at the border, pay your permit fee and go on your merry way. But it is nearly impossible for a non-resident to get a permit to possess a handgun in Canada. The Canadian government recommends people wanting to take handguns through Canada to Alaska are better off to ship them directly to someone with an FFL in Alaska rather than try to get a permit.
It would be way easier to just fly commercial and check it.

This is spot on. I travelled through with 4 rifles and 2 shotguns. Those were no big deal. I had my uncle send me a hand gun to an FFL up here. I wasn’t about to try and get one through.

Thank you for your time, this is helpful. It sounds like shipping to a FFL is the way to go for handguns.

99% sure Canada will NOT approve the transport of a handgun through their country.

If you are inclined to give it a try, you must contact RCMP and request an application to transit their country with the firearm. Firearm must remain in a locked box. Ammo must be in a separate locked box. Your transit time through Canada must be direct without stopovers aside - as described to me, 3 days.

If they do approve, you must stop on the US side Port of Entry and complete a form 4457 and that will act as a temp import/export of the firearm and also to establish it's original point of origin.

Flying direct from U.S. to U.S., the firearm must be in a secure locked box with the ammunition in its own boxed container. (may be inside the same case though no ammo free floating, in speed loaders, etc... keep them in the ammo cased box. Suggested to keep inside your luggage bag and when at the ticket counter, declare the firearm. They may have it inspected by an airport police or official or not.
This is the most simple route.

Last time I drove up there was 2002. No handguns could enter Canada. I took a rifle and a shotgun. Told them I had them and they never looked!

My brother is moving to Alaska for missionary work and we need to transport a revolver to Alaska. Is there a post/info concerning travel with firearms? We have no experience traveling by air or crossing borders with firearms. If anyone has a S&W 629 4inch barrel to sell we are looking for one for him. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Lee

Gonna get some converts one way or the other. :) (Sorry, just have a weird sense of humor.)

I'm guess in he wants it for bear protection? Tell him to be sure to read the rules on DLP. Killing a bear for "protection of life" gets pretty sticky here. Not all bears running towards you are "charging". Distance from the bear is also a factor. Also, contrary to popular belief, there is NOT a bear hiding behind every tree or under every bush. He may well spend his time here and not even see a bear. (then again, he could get charged stepping off the plane.) No hard and fast rules with bears. If he's going to carry the pistol all the time, tell him to invest in a good chest carry holster - beats the heck of wearing it on your belt. He'll also want upgraded ammo for the gun. 300 gr+ hard cast bullets. Buffalo Bore and Core Bon are 2 names that come to mind - there are others. You might check "Alaska List" for finding a gun here. There are also LOTS of gun dealers in the larger cities.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back