necessary gear for a successful hunt

Read SnowyMountaineers posts several times and then do what he says. It’s really easy to grossly overthink shit. You need to eat, sleep, drink, stay dry and warm, find animal, shoot it, pack it out.

Im not an ounce counter, but I also strive to maintain a balance between comfort and efficiency.
I can relate to that last sentence, especially with an "I'm too cheap to upgrade that" addition.

Check out Brian Barney's podcast episode on backcountry gear lists (Eastman's Elevated). Its kind of long winded, but if you need something to listen to, he sheds light on a good amount of topics and scenarios. A lot of guys have hit it pretty square on the head, simple works. The biggest tool you'll acquire is the culmination of knowledge of what you need after many times on the mountain.

I should add, once you figure out it's all about a strategy for staying dry enough, sleeping well enough, and eating well enough, you can plug in used gear form a forum, some cheap stuff from walmart, and whatever else to make it work without having to shell out a ton of money. The most current gear technology isn't irrelevant, but it's not that important either.

Missed this post at first. Gonna remember and use it. mtmuley

I don't know what you've done in the military, but think of your last 5 day field training and add the things you were probably supplied with (water, medical, planning, navigation, maybe food) along with what you need to get the animal out of the field and you've got it. I've been out of the military five years and am in my second year of hunting out of a pack. The only things I use surplus are polartec fleeces. Military gear is rugged and functional but heavy and bulky. But if you are allowed to or won't get caught using your issue gear then do it at least at first. In general, how much you carry is about trading off discomfort walking vs discomfort hunting and camping. The military acclimates you to discomfort in all the above. Get out and practice and mutually build a plan around your gear and gear around your plan the way you would do it. I would also keep in mind these differences with backpackers:

1. Backpackers often travel 10 miles each day along established trails. You will probably be stationary more requiring more warming layers and be traveling off trail requiring rugged outer wear and footwear.

2. Backpackers don't carry hunting gear. Add up your rifle scope ammo bino spotter tripod rangefinder knife sharpener gamebags and you already have a heavier load than an ultralight backpacker.

3. Backpackers don't spend money on hunting gear or hundreds in non-resident tags. You won't have as much money to spend on other gear.

4. You listen to ultralight backpackers, and toying with their gear to getting it as light as possible is a large part of their game. There's nothing wrong with that, but you likely have different objectives like hunting.

Edit ps:. Comms. Another thing you might be used to being supplied with you might want to bring is communications.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back