What's in Your "Oh Crap" Kit

406LIFE

...I am reworking mine and solicitng some ideas to add. I'm not looking for "survival" stuff necessarily, as much as more like this is more handy to have than I would have realize.

I've added a few items to mine: spare buckles for my pack, KT Tape, superglue, and a straw for my sawyer mini.

Needle and Thread, but I use Berkley Fireline instead of thread. Came in handy a couple times.
Duct tape rewrapped around a pencil, then cut off at each end. makes it much more compact. Have seen others wrap it around a lighter.
Ibuprophen and Tylenol PM!

Some sort of fire starter. Mike Eastman talks a lot about cotton balls soaked in vaseline. I know guys in the Army that do it and it seems to work. Also a butane cigar lighter. They always light no matter the weather.

I have a battery powered lighter. guaranteed to work until the power goes out, eh.
Some flamable little cubes guaranteed to catch fire , even when wet and burn to 1,000 degress (if I believe all the sunshine they are blowingup my shorts in the ad)
The medical kit seem to get a little bigger each year. Cushman talked me into carrying tampons these days
Spare headlamp, more batteries.
In my meager thoughts of basic survival. If I can plug the leaks, keep warm and see what I'm doing. I'll be ok, theoretically speaking....:hump:

Simms dry bag with the following:

Adventure medical kit (adventurer, and I fill it w/the most useful 1st aid stuff i can, especially moleskin & neosporin, advil, tylenol & wound care stuff)

small survival kit w/thermal blanket, firestarter, duct tape, etc

extra lithium batteries for the gps & headlamp

Leatherman

hand warmers/toe warmers

spare battery pack for phone

A few pain pills & needle & thread for sutures...

Cotton balls soaked in Vasiline ,pinion pitch balls,bic,waterproof matches.

Space blanket & poncho.

I wonder....would mixing a little gun powder with the cotton ball and jelly give it some extra kick for starting fires?

It seems like I have less and less every year. What I always have handy: lighter, replaceable blade knife, head lamp, compass electrical tape, wind checker, and a few wire ties. All fits in my bino harness.

Items beyond the normal emergency firestarter, hand warmers, Tylenol, etc kit:

Superglue (Pen thin tube).
Suture needle/thread. **I like Muskeez's fireline choice. I may check that out.
I swipe my wife's firekit. She has the cotton balls with Vaseline and it does work. Take a twig, swirl it within the med container holding and it will have enough to act as a slow fire burning candle-like tool.
Antibiotics in case temp exceeds (removed spleen).
Few spare days of meds (accident).
InReach.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back