Caribou Gear

Spring Turkey Season 2018

singleshot1

Spring turkey season is by far my favorite time of the year, I openly admit I am addicted to turkey hunting to the point I may need a support group. This year was no exception either, having 5 tags in 4 different states in my pocket I knew it was going to be busy, hectic, and of course fun! Tag #1 was for Illinois, Tag #2 Kansas, Tag #3 Nebraska, Tag #4 back in Illinois and Tag #5 is in Wisconsin. Going into this year I also only needed one more turkey to complete my grand slam and that tag was in my pocket, Tag #2 for Kansas and the Rio Grande.
Season started off in Illinois, I wasn’t able to hunt opening morning because of kids sporting events, but Sunday April 22nd found me in the woods well before sunrise. Was set up within 100 yards of the birds in the roost, but of course they pitched down in the opposite direction. No big deal right?? I quickly relocate ahead of them and while belly crawling out into the field to put the decoy’s out these two toms spot me and the decoy and things got wild quick! In about 30 seconds flat these two came charging 150 yards across the field to fight my decoy as I’m still laying behind it, and just like that tag #1 was filled. An Illinois Eastern in the bag, 23lbs, 11” beard, and 1-1/4” spurs.

Eastern 1 2018.JPG

Now comes the hunt I’ve been looking forward to for a year, a trip to Kansas with a shot at completing my grand slam and harvesting a Rio Grande. Friday April 27th I was in the blind just as the birds were starting to wake up. Had several gobbling off in the distance but couldn’t tell how far exactly they were away. Well after the pitched down things got quiet, I figured they were just doing their morning thing with the hens. About 2 hours later I hear the distinct deep bass drumming sound, then a spit and drum, then a gobble that wasn’t 40 yards away directly behind me where I couldn’t see. Within minutes he was coming into view to my left putting on a show but was skirting my setup at about 45 yards, a shot I’m comfortable with but prefer closer. The moment of truth finally came….. and I missed, not sure if it was the emotions, thousands of thoughts racing through my head, chance of completing the slam or what it was but I missed, unfortunately for this turkey I cycled another round in immediately and the second shot connected. My Kansas Rio Grande was down, my slam was complete. 20lbs, 9” beard, and 1” spurs.

Rio Grande 2018.JPG

Onto Nebraska now with tag #3 and chasing in my book the prettiest bird of them all, the Merriam’s. These birds are my favorite to hunt, each of the sub-species in the US has its own unique characteristics, the Merriam’s by far has been my most challenging one to hunt for me, but the most rewarding. April 29th was a quiet and slow starting morning, covered lots of miles trying to locate a bird to go after, had a close call midmorning but couldn’t identify if it was a mature bird or not so I let him walk. I did see a group off in the distance right before lunch. After lunch and a quick nap we were off to chase the birds I seen right before lunch. We found them back in a valley right where I last seen them, one tom was working his hens, the other tom looked like he had been booted from the group, he was the one we decided to go after. After a challenging stalk we were within 80 yards of him, a few soft calls and 10 minutes later he was within range, one boom from the 12 gauge and tag #3 was filled. A Nebraska Merriam’s in the bag. 24lbs, 9” beard, and 1-1/4 spurs.

Merriam's 2018.jpg

Back to Illinois now for tag #4. After a rough day of hunting on Saturday, the wear and tear from traveling and serious lack of sleep was now catching up to me, I was making stupid mistakes and screwing up set ups. Sunday May 6th I was back at it before sunrise with renewed spirits. It was a quiet morning though, after not hearing much I decide to relocate to another property. Nothing was happening there either, I decide to take a drive and I spot 4 toms together working into the property I was set up in before sunrise. I quickly go to the other side of the property and get set up, they work within 60 yards of me and then hang up. After a 10 minute stand-off they slowly work away from me over a slight hill. Frustrated I get up and start crawling through the grass field they are in right towards the last spot I seen them, I get to the crest of the hill and peak over, there they are 40 yards away. I lay there and think for a second and come up with my next plan. The plan was to jump up and run directly at them hoping for the element of surprise, this plan worked flawlessly as they stood there looking like “what the hell is this guy doing” and close another 10 yards, picked out the one farthest away from the group, bang, flop. Tag #4 filled, another Illinois Eastern in the freezer. 25lbs, double beard 11-1/2” and 6”, with 1-1/2” spurs.

Eastern 2 2018.jpg

Tag #5 is still in my pocket, Memorial Day weekend in Wisconsin will find me trying to cap of this memorable spring season filling that tag.

The Grand Slam.
Grand Slam.JPG

With all those birds to eat every day is Thanksgiving around your house. Congratulations on the Grand Slam.

Tag #5, the last and final one for the season was filled over the weekend in Wisconsin. It was a warm day, pushing 90 degrees but still fun to be out chasing theses birds.

Can't wait till next spring. No to see what tags I draw for this fall.

21lbs, 11" beard and 1" spurs
IMG_1265.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back