Favorite Upland Shotgun?

I even got some pretty nice wood on my Affinity, if that kind of thing is important to you.

Honestly that may be the deciding factor lol I will likely take my few choices and pick the gun with the nicest looking stock

I even got some pretty nice wood on my Affinity, if that kind of thing is important to you.

If you're buying a wood stocked gun, then the plainer it is, the less likely you are to be a great wing shot. This is irrefutable science.

If you are interested in a double gun, then I would third or fourth the suggestion of looking at used guns. Some great deals out there.

What is that? Nice gun. I have an O/U Franchi Instinct already but another break action would be fun too. I was just leaning more towards a Semi-Auto 20.

It is a Greener Facile Princeps F40, which I only know because it came with a letter from Greener concerning its history.

Anyway, my point is simply that there is a plethora of amazing shotguns out there in the used market. If you want a gun that points great, carries well, knocks birds down with aplomb, and has some history and maybe elegance to it, you can find all of that and more on the used market at almost any price point. Those old English doubles were (and are) somewhat legendary for a reason. Across the channel Sauer, Husqvarna, O'Shatz, and even a Merkel or two will all have the same basic action as the Greener (i.e., the famous Greener Crossbolt), and can be had for anywhere from well under $1k to whatever you want to spend. I nearly bought a really cool French gun (a Darne - google that for something different) for just over $1, but went after the Greener instead. There are a jillion other makers available out there. A friend bought a Huskie with perfect mechanics but lots of cosmetic wear for only $400. It is slowly being restored to whatever he wants it to be, while he shoots it every week.

The market for old doubles is a little bit soft right now, so there are some deals to be had and it's fun to look, kick tires, and do a little research for a gun that is more than just another thunderstick.

Just another way to get more bang for your hunting dollar and time in the off season.

It is a Greener Facile Princeps F40, which I only know because it came with a letter from Greener concerning its history.

Anyway, my point is simply that there is a plethora of amazing shotguns out there in the used market. If you want a gun that points great, carries well, knocks birds down with aplomb, and has some history and maybe elegance to it, you can find all of that and more on the used market at almost any price point. Those old English doubles were (and are) somewhat legendary for a reason. Across the channel Sauer, Husqvarna, O'Shatz, and even a Merkel or two will all have the same basic action as the Greener (i.e., the famous Greener Crossbolt), and can be had for anywhere from well under $1k to whatever you want to spend. I nearly bought a really cool French gun (a Darne - google that for something different) for just over $1, but went after the Greener instead. There are a jillion other makers available out there. A friend bought a Huskie with perfect mechanics but lots of cosmetic wear for only $400. It is slowly being restored to whatever he wants it to be, while he shoots it every week.

The market for old doubles is a little bit soft right now, so there are some deals to be had and it's fun to look, kick tires, and do a little research for a gun that is more than just another thunderstick.

Just another way to get more bang for your hunting dollar and time in the off season.

Appreciate the response I will look into it.

After years of wanting one I finally bought a 20 gauge Benelli Montefeltro Silver last year. I have used it at a couple of charity sporting clay shoots, and have hunted with it over a couple of dozen times. I've never had any issues in any kind of weather (freezing temps/rain etc.) or with any brand/size of ammo. It's a great lightweight upland gun that swings and points better than any I have had the opportunity to use including my Citori. A buddy of mine has an Ethos and I'll take the Monte over it all day long. The Monte is all about fit, if it fits you, it's great if it doesn't, well, then it's not. The low rib causes trouble for some but I have no issues with it. The only thing I'll say is that when it comes to fit and finish I think Benelli is over rated. Browning and Beretta are definitely better and concerning price, they are much better. While a very reliable firearm I find Benelli is overpriced.

Back