Traditions

Huntkook

Do y'all have any traditions that you do when you get together to hunt? We have a few my Dad started the annual fish fry tradition and we stop at the original Cabela's on our way out west.
Back home when we go to the mountains we have the camp chin chin tradition you warm up on the inside while waiting for the fire to warm you on the outside.

The old camp is shut down now, Mr. Johnson passed & the property was divided up amongst the clan, but anybody/everybody who shot 5pt buck had to take a shot of Jack, jump 5 times on one leg & then piss off the porch.

Why?

I have no clue, but I did it 3X.

Mr. Johnson was an old coot, in his own weird wonderful world, but mainly just enjoyed F'n with newbies.

Hahaha the only "tradition" I have is that when my dad says "you never know" you will not see any game, catch any fish, etc. For example if there is terrible weather conditions, or he is trying to talk you into hunting or fishing a highly unlikely spot he'll say something like "We should hunt old man Smith's place tomorrow. You never know. There could be deer all over that place." That's when you know that if you go you won't see a thing....but you go anyways because it's your dad.

So, on my first trip to the camp I am a member of now I drove up to my then-new hunting buddies place in Wellington from the Springs the night before we were to head out. As I pulled off 25 I detoured into McDs (known as the American Embassy in my family) to grab some chow. I had come straight from work and was hangry. A couple of McDoubles and a diet coke later I puttered off to his house. We spent the better part of 6 hours that night talking and planning about what was to come with my first trip to elk camp in the morning. That first year I shot a cow and a bull within a minute of each other from the same spot. I have also harvested a buck and bear (last year) from that spot. Needless to say, every trip starts with me eating at McDs before I head to his house :) From there, I also buy a 12 pack of Busch from the store in Toponas right before we leave pavement for the last time. Finally, the tradition that we all have is that we bring a bottle of Rumpleminz with us to camp but ONLY drink any after an animal has been harvested.

Don’t know if it qualifies as a tradition but I always have to hunt Whitetails on Halloween evening. I have not missed a Halloween in 15 years, wife will never understand it but she is learning that is one day she doesn’t have any control over.

As a kid/young adult the night before leaving for a fishing trip, after all was packed and it had become dark, sitting in the boat in the driveway with my dad having a few pops/beers and talking about the upcoming trip. As I type this a flood of wonderful memories come back. My dad has passed recently and I realized as I right this, that since I have a nicely covered boat, this tradition has fallen away. Well that stops here, now, in a few weeks as we get ready for our Ontario trip - the boat cover comes off and my son and I are sitting in the boat the night before departure. Thanks for causing me to remember!

As a kid/young adult the night before leaving for a fishing trip, after all was packed and it had become dark, sitting in the boat in the driveway with my dad having a few pops/beers and talking about the upcoming trip. As I type this a flood of wonderful memories come back. My dad has passed recently and I realized as I right this, that since I have a nicely covered boat, this tradition has fallen away. Well that stops here, now, in a few weeks as we get ready for our Ontario trip - the boat cover comes off and my son and I are sitting in the boat the night before departure. Thanks for causing me to remember!

Good for you! That's very cool.

Back when our youngest daughter started whitetail hunting with me I bought a giant sized Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bar for us to share while we waited for something to show up. Something to help keep her awake as much as have something to quietly munch on. Did that every year, and I continue to have one in my pack now that she's doing other things and I go alone.

Good for you! That's very cool.

Back when our youngest daughter started whitetail hunting with me I bought a giant sized Hershey's Special Dark chocolate bar for us to share while we waited for something to show up. Something to help keep her awake as much as have something to quietly munch on. Did that every year, and I continue to have one in my pack now that she's doing other things and I go alone.

Nice. It’s amazing how these little things stay with us.

We start any hunt till we have several bags of fresh KRAFT carmels. Started with our first elk hunt in '06 with my sons and continues today with my youngest daughter. Since elk hunting is early Oct. you can get bags of fresh ones that the carmel apple guys need for Halloween. If they don't squeeze in the bag, they ain't fresh.

I save one package of deer meat from the previous year. The night before the opener we have that deer meat for supper.started that tradition when my kids were little. I told them it makes us one with the animal.

18 year Jameson's always carried during hunts... passed around upon successful harvest. <and a nip here and there... you know, quality assurance type stuff... ;) >

Hunting is not a social affair for me, so I guess I don't have any "traditions."

A tradition can be something as simply as stopping at the same place to eat or wearing a lucky shirt or hat. Basically it's something that you do year after year.

A tradition can be something as simply as stopping at the same place to eat or wearing a lucky shirt or hat. Basically it's something that you do year after year.

I guess the only thing that I do every year is the use of my pirogue. I use my pirogue all the time to get to deer and turkey spots.

Just before opening day's light peeped over the eastern ridge of my Grandfathers cattle ranch, jeeps and pickups full of Uncles, their friends, and other close Friends of the Family, all complete with fully stocked ice chests and neat various looking guns the smell of gun oil, would gather out in the yard-driveway to discuss which fenced section they were going to hunt first. Early on it drove me crazy to not be going with them, any one of them, i wanted to go. Yet i was still too young and probably only be in the way of this spectacular group of Men doing what normal Men do, hunting Deer.

After they'd gone and the sun was up, it was just another day with me being Grandpa's "right hand man". The groups would eventually, seemed forever, always stop back at the Ranch House on their way down and check in with grandpa with a full report, maybe having a nice buck or two to show off and if so, they'd usually fully dress their prize, hanging it with the old oak single tree, that i now possess, under the giant Pepper tree out in the yard with more stories and laughs as the others would finally trickle in.

Those guys hunting the Ranch back then in those days were the guys that i looked up to and learned from. I wanted to be like them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kallcarrty
Back