Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Handgun Barrel Break In?

TexAg09

Hey guys, I just bought my first real handgun, but I'm not near as experienced with pistols as I am rifles. (I've got a .22 pistol, but just bought a S&W .357 Mag. I figured I could start out with .38 Special until more comfortable.) I know in rifles there is a break in period for the barrel. Is it the same with a pistol? Should I break in the barrel the same for a pistol as a rifle, or is there a different way you should do it? (That might be a can of worms because I know some people break in their rifle barrels different from others.) Or should I just go out, shoot a couple of boxes through it, and call it good? Thanks in advance.

Shoot it and call it good revolvers don't really need a break in. Most recommend breaking in semi autos with 200 rounds or so to make sure they function reliably.

Barrel brake in with riffles is about accuracy most people can't shoot a pistol accurately enough to see any difference.

Last edited:
Shoot it and call it going revolvers don't really need a break in. Most recommend breaking in semi autos with 200 rounds or so to make sure they function reliably.

Barrel brake in with riffles is about accuracy most people can't shoot a pistol accurately enough to see any difference.

I've shot my share as military and LEO. What you are looking for is just to make sure all parts are working and there aren't weak points.

Before firing your revolver make sure you clean the barrel and cylinder. If you shoot 38's then make sure to scrub the cylinder after to remove the ring of residue. If it builds up it can cause the 357's to stick in the cylinder. Other wise just shoot the heck out of it and enjoy.

Dan

I think in a handgun, you aren't as worried about the barrel as you are the function. I would say to run a few boxes of ammo through the gun to allow the springs to get a workout and get used to the firearm itself. I also echo Dan O's comment about cleaning your cylinders.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back