Drew Wasatch Rifle (mid-hunt Oct 6-18)

Bubba19

Hey Guys,

Was wondering if anyone on here has drawn this tag before? I know that during this hunt there will also be spike/deer hunters at the same time. I was wondering if anyone would share some info on this area. I have hunted in Utah just no this area. Some info I would like to find out is...

1. Good Location to camp.
2. Hunting the west side or the east side? or north of strawberry Lake or south?
3. Whats a realistic expectation on bulls in this unit?
4. October would they still be vocal?
5. Bring quads or UTV Rhino?
6. Weather this time of year? I know it varies from year to year but on average.
7. I enjoy glassing and would like to find some areas that allow me to do this to cover more ground?
8. any place to pack into and stay and get away from some of the pressure?

If you want to private message me that would be great. I would really appreciate any info I can get.

Thanks,

There are lots of good places to camp if you get out and scout you will should find one. I'm only only familiar with the east side of the lake I deer hunted it a few years. It will be good to have atv or something like that there can be some nasty roads in some of the canyons. Just by how many elk I've seen in there I think anything over 300 would be considered a great bull for that area although there are usually some 330 and better bulls come off that unit. I muzzeloaded for deer there towards the end of September and they were still bugling a lot might be really winding down around your hunt though. There's a smokepole hunt right before yours and the spike elk hunt during so expect those elk to be pressured and in roadless canyons. Shoot me a PM if you want and I can give you a good glassing point.

Last edited:
Should be many places to camp. Having a ln ATV is a good idea for some of the rocky roads. Elk likely won't be vocal at all. I think a good bull in there is more like 310-320". There are a few roadless areas to get into. Glassing is the name of the game.

Drew the early rifle tag in 2016 with my hunting partner. My dad drew it this year so I will be there again in September. Msg me if you would like a little info from what I know.

My wife through the early rifle last year feel free to p.m. me and I can give you some info. I've hunted that unit for 18 years. I've seen the good times and the bad. Unfortunately that unit is more of the latter

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back