Accessing Landlocked National Forest..

SHEDZILLA

I'm sure most of you hunt talk regulars have surely seen the episodes where Randy flies into landlocked BLM to hunt otherwise almost impossible to access areas and gets into big herds of elk. If i'm understanding the rules correctly, BLM land is generally ok to land small aircraft such as helicopters, powered paragliders etc...
So correct me if i'm wrong, but if i were to fly into this small chunk of BLM i'd then have hike in access to the landlocked NF directly behind it, that it borders. ( the BLM and NF in the picture are completely landlocked without corner crossing, and bordered by big $$$ outfitted ranches where you cannot get permission unless you pay big $$, and that's not my style. I know this hard to access public land is loaded with elk. I guess im just wondering if its really as "easy" as it seems to just land there, and then hunt this incredible area. To good to be true? (yes i have a plan for flying myself into the BLM)
Also, if you happen to recognize this very small piece of a very big map, please don't say where it is exactly.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_20180516_190500976 (2).jpg
    IMG_20180516_190500976 (2).jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 1,012
I don't know the exact rules but you may have to land on an established road/trail. Otherwise go forth and conquer but be prepared for harassment from the outfitter.

I don't know the exact rules but you may have to land on an established road/trail. Otherwise go forth and conquer but be prepared for harassment from the outfitter.

There is an old ranch 2 track running through this section of BLM. And from my research i believe i'm in the clear to land here legally..
And yes, i have no doubt the outfitter who hunts this area and surrounding ranch will not be happy AT ALL. But i'm determined to enjoy our public lands, especially ones that are landlocked

Ownership of airspace above the surface is a tricky subject. If I were you, I’d want to be sure to stay a minimum of 360 ft. above the deck over the private land holdings. Otherwise, a rancher could successfully have you charged with trespassing.

Hmmm. I’d need to think about it and do some research. How ‘bout I come along and we’ll talk about it on the flight in? :)

Ownership of airspace above the surface is a tricky subject. If I were you, I’d want to be sure to stay a minimum of 360 ft. above the deck over the private land holdings. Otherwise, a rancher could successfully have you charged with trespassing.
You have to obey FAA restrictions on how close you can get to people and buildings, but there is no law against flying through airspace, although they tried to make it illegal a couple years ago.

In Montana you would need to spend the night as you can not fly in and hunt the same day. Other states may have similar regulations.

Have you checked the FS's MVUM to be sure there are no easements into the public land?

Yep i sure have... There is absolutely no way into this particular public land without paying hefty trespass fees, or going with an outfitter... Without being to specific about where this exact area is, there has been significant issues with the lack of access to the national forest land, and ranchers not allowing hunters to cross their lands anymore due to outfitters in the area, and the quality of bulls this area can produce on an "OTC" tag.
Now there is access to other portions of the NF in this unit, but of course those areas see heavy pressure, and the elk quickly get pushed onto the private ranches. The biologist and game warden i spoke with both said that if you can get yourself on that piece of NF im interested in, you will have lots of elk and nearly zero pressure.

Hey if you can do it and stay legal I'll say more power to ya. But just make sure you are dead set on whatever laws, regulations etc that may come into play should you get bothered by an outfitter, private land owner blah blah.

I don't have any background to give you sound advice, but I am in full support of you getting into elk on a normally outfitted-only section. Way to think outside the box!

Yep i sure have... There is absolutely no way into this particular public land without paying hefty trespass fees, or going with an outfitter... Without being to specific about where this exact area is, there has been significant issues with the lack of access to the national forest land, and ranchers not allowing hunters to cross their lands anymore due to outfitters in the area, and the quality of bulls this area can produce on an "OTC" tag.
Now there is access to other portions of the NF in this unit, but of course those areas see heavy pressure, and the elk quickly get pushed onto the private ranches. The biologist and game warden i spoke with both said that if you can get yourself on that piece of NF im interested in, you will have lots of elk and nearly zero pressure.

Awesome:) Have fun man.

In Montana you would need to spend the night as you can not fly in and hunt the same day. Other states may have similar regulations.

Incorrect. In MT, you cannot use aircraft to spot game and hunt them the same day. If you're not doing that, there's nothing saying you can't fly and hunt the same day.

Incorrect. In MT, you cannot use aircraft to spot game and hunt them the same day. If you're not doing that, there's nothing saying you can't fly and hunt the same day.

That is correct, but flying in to a place that you intend to hunt might be pushing the edge of the law . I would not risk it, expressly if there is likely to be others that are unhappy about your presence. If you were to circle the landing spot someone else could claim you were spotting game.

Last edited:
i would get a body cam, and film the conflict you will most likely enjoy, then proceed to file criminal charges for hunter harassment, sexual harassment or anything else you can come up with, the outfitter is going to try to do it to you,,,,

Go get ‘em! And let us know how it goes. I’d be excited if I were you. Sounds awesome.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back