Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Accessing Landlocked National Forest..

I'm sure most of you hunt talk regulars have surely seen the episodes where Randy flies into landlocked BLM to hunt otherwise almost impossible to access areas and gets into big herds of elk. If i'm understanding the rules correctly, BLM land is generally ok to land small aircraft such as helicopters, powered paragliders etc...
    So correct me if i'm wrong, but if i were to fly into this small chunk of BLM i'd then have hike in access to the landlocked NF directly behind it, that it borders. ( the BLM and NF in the picture are completely landlocked without corner crossing, and bordered by big $$$ outfitted ranches where you cannot get permission unless you pay big $$, and that's not my style. I know this hard to access public land is loaded with elk. I guess im just wondering if its really as "easy" as it seems to just land there, and then hunt this incredible area. To good to be true? (yes i have a plan for flying myself into the BLM)
    Also, if you happen to recognize this very small piece of a very big map, please don't say where it is exactly.

Thoughts?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I don't know the exact rules but you may have to land on an established road/trail. Otherwise go forth and conquer but be prepared for harassment from the outfitter.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Mthuntr View Post
    I don't know the exact rules but you may have to land on an established road/trail. Otherwise go forth and conquer but be prepared for harassment from the outfitter.
    There is an old ranch 2 track running through this section of BLM. And from my research i believe i'm in the clear to land here legally..
    And yes, i have no doubt the outfitter who hunts this area and surrounding ranch will not be happy AT ALL. But i'm determined to enjoy our public lands, especially ones that are landlocked

More power to ya!

Looks to me like if you get on the BLM legally, you are good to go. mtmuley

Ownership of airspace above the surface is a tricky subject. If I were you, I’d want to be sure to stay a minimum of 360 ft. above the deck over the private land holdings. Otherwise, a rancher could successfully have you charged with trespassing.
    We have not reached ethical perfection in hunting. One never achieves perfection in anything, and perhaps it exists precisely so that one can never achieve it. Its purpose is to orient our conduct and to allow us to measure the progress accomplished. In this sense, the advancement achieved in the ethics of hunting is undeniable.
    - Jose Ortega y Gasset, 1942

Hmmm. Id need to think about it and do some research. How bout I come along and well talk about it on the flight in?

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassBilly View Post
    Ownership of airspace above the surface is a tricky subject. If I were you, Id want to be sure to stay a minimum of 360 ft. above the deck over the private land holdings. Otherwise, a rancher could successfully have you charged with trespassing.
    You have to obey FAA restrictions on how close you can get to people and buildings, but there is no law against flying through airspace, although they tried to make it illegal a couple years ago.

In Montana you would need to spend the night as you can not fly in and hunt the same day. Other states may have similar regulations.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by antlerradar View Post
    In Montana you would need to spend the night as you can not fly in and hunt the same day. Other states may have similar regulations.
    Correct. Id be doing a multiple day hunt.

Have you checked the FS's MVUM to be sure there are no easements into the public land?

12. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ishootdasmallones View Post
    Have you checked the FS's MVUM to be sure there are no easements into the public land?
    Yep i sure have... There is absolutely no way into this particular public land without paying hefty trespass fees, or going with an outfitter... Without being to specific about where this exact area is, there has been significant issues with the lack of access to the national forest land, and ranchers not allowing hunters to cross their lands anymore due to outfitters in the area, and the quality of bulls this area can produce on an "OTC" tag.
    Now there is access to other portions of the NF in this unit, but of course those areas see heavy pressure, and the elk quickly get pushed onto the private ranches. The biologist and game warden i spoke with both said that if you can get yourself on that piece of NF im interested in, you will have lots of elk and nearly zero pressure.

Hey if you can do it and stay legal I'll say more power to ya. But just make sure you are dead set on whatever laws, regulations etc that may come into play should you get bothered by an outfitter, private land owner blah blah.

14. Default

Go get em!!!

15. Default

I don't have any background to give you sound advice, but I am in full support of you getting into elk on a normally outfitted-only section. Way to think outside the box!

Quote Originally Posted by SHEDZILLA View Post
    Yep i sure have... There is absolutely no way into this particular public land without paying hefty trespass fees, or going with an outfitter... Without being to specific about where this exact area is, there has been significant issues with the lack of access to the national forest land, and ranchers not allowing hunters to cross their lands anymore due to outfitters in the area, and the quality of bulls this area can produce on an "OTC" tag.
    Now there is access to other portions of the NF in this unit, but of course those areas see heavy pressure, and the elk quickly get pushed onto the private ranches. The biologist and game warden i spoke with both said that if you can get yourself on that piece of NF im interested in, you will have lots of elk and nearly zero pressure.
    Awesome Have fun man.

Quote Originally Posted by antlerradar View Post
    Incorrect. In MT, you cannot use aircraft to spot game and hunt them the same day. If you're not doing that, there's nothing saying you can't fly and hunt the same day.

Quote Originally Posted by TBass View Post
    Incorrect. In MT, you cannot use aircraft to spot game and hunt them the same day. If you're not doing that, there's nothing saying you can't fly and hunt the same day.
    That is correct, but flying in to a place that you intend to hunt might be pushing the edge of the law . I would not risk it, expressly if there is likely to be others that are unhappy about your presence. If you were to circle the landing spot someone else could claim you were spotting game.
    Last edited by antlerradar; 05-17-2018 at 06:57 AM.

i would get a body cam, and film the conflict you will most likely enjoy, then proceed to file criminal charges for hunter harassment, sexual harassment or anything else you can come up with, the outfitter is going to try to do it to you,,,,

Go get ‘em! And let us know how it goes. I’d be excited if I were you. Sounds awesome.

Dude—that’s sounds awesome. Hope you have a great time.

Hey, I recognize that spot. I actually considered doing it myself when I owned a cub. I am looking forward to hearing how it goes, although it would probably be best to keep it quiet if it works out good for you.

Confrontation is something that I try to avoid while hunting, I would expect it. A camera is a good idea. I determined it to be legal at the time that I considered it, about 8 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by kingderek View Post
    Dude—that’s sounds awesome. Hope you have a great time.
    This. Good luck and please let us know how this adventure unfolds for you!

Awesome! Excited to hear the report after your hunt.
    "The Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world" Del Gue

25. Default

I'm jealous. I'd have someone else drop you off and pick you up, since you are going to be hunting away from the landing zone. It would be all too easy for your unattended aircraft to have an "accident" while you are off hunting- cows rubbing on the prop, stray bullet from private, tire puncture... It's a real shame we even have to think that way, but outfitters who have a prime parcel of public land locked up have an unsavory reputation, and it doesn't seem to bother them at all. I'd also stop in at the appropriate BLM office beforehand and get something in writing, if only a citation to the relevant laws, that says it is OK to land there, just to CYA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast