7mm-08/7mm-HuntTalk ammo question

Brandon0891

I recently scored a great deal on a NIB Howa Alpine Mountain Rifle in 7mm-08 or as i have seen called 7mm-HuntTalk or .284-HuntTalk. I have always been a fan of the Barnes TTSX Bullets and have had nothing but luck out of them. Does anyone know of any companies out there that load the 140 grn TTSX in 7mm-08? I found a company called double tap ammunition, but didn't know if anyone had any other suggestions? I mainly want to stick with a lead free bullet, so I'm open to other bullet manufacturers as well.

I don't know of too many that load the 140gr TTSX. You can get custom ammo from a handful of companies like Hendershots Ammo.

I strongly suggest looking into reloading which should help in the long run

I've used some double tap pistol ammo and had no issues with it. It is not cheap though. Hornady and Nosler both have 140gr lead-free, but I haven't had a chance to try them yet.

My 7mm08HT Tikka really likes 120gn Barnes VORtex TTSX factory loads.

I am not surprised that 140 gn 7mm08HT are not commonly available as I believe the standard recommendation for TTSX bullets is to go down in weight because (a) the added velocity helps with expansion; (b) because the bullet retains 95%+ of its weight you actually have more mass to drive penetration than a heavier bullet that sheds 20-40% of its mass at impact/expansion; and (c) it keeps the less dense bullet length down a bit.

My wife's 7HT puts those 120gr TTSX bullets into nice little dime sized groups. It should be the cats meow for deer and antelope. I'm still trying to decide whether to go 120 or 140 in mine.

When Federal closed out their 140TSX load I bought a boat load @ $15 a box. (Yeaa Me). May, or may not hunt with them, but I got the brass either way.

Seriously though, if I were to hand load a mono, I'd go for the 120gr. Mono's thrive on speed. Use it to your advantage.

Last edited:
I'd use the Barnes 120 gr.

If they are available i might try the Cutting Edge bullets.

You may try to find someone that handloads near you.

I'm gonna give the 140 grain Federal Trophy Copper load a try out of my new 7mm08. I want to shoot 140 grain but if they don't group well I'll go to the Barnes 120 TTSX as it will be primarily a antelope and mule deer gun.

Hornady makes 139g factory copper ammo in the superformance as well as fullboar if your wanting a little heavier bullet. I'd go with the superformance myself because as others have said copper needs to be going fast to expand

I've had great luck with the Hornady GMX bullet in our .308s and .243s. Grouped better for me than the Federal Premium with the TSX (not TTSX). But that was just my experience. Good on ya for shooting non-lead. Don't even want to tell you how many eagles and other raptors we see run through the local wildlife rehab center with lead poisoning from ingested lead bullet fragments. Nearly all are euthanized.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back