Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

recurve questions

redduck

Hello All,

I am planing on shooting a re curve bow. I am wondering if I need a sight? If I do what would yall recommend? Also should i use a release?. Any quiver recommendations?

Best,
Redduck

Most shoot a recurve (hunting) for its simplicity......adding a sight and shooting a release would seem counter-productive, IMO. Selway make quivers for recurves and longbows alike.

I shoot a longbow, but grew up shooting both. I would personally never put a sight on it or use a release...I just think it is more fun to shoot by instinct.

okay sounds great. Thanks guys. I am new to shooting bows in general and My wife got me a recurve bow for a surprise gift. I appreciate all the help!

okay sounds great. Thanks guys. I am new to shooting bows in general and My wife got me a recurve bow for a surprise gift. I appreciate all the help!

I'm in a similar boat, got a longbow as a gift but totally new to archery. After shooting for 2 years my max hunting range would be like 15 yards... so if I was wanted to get an Archery tag and really wanted to be successful I would just get a compound bow, I hunt with my longbow as is because it's fun and I go into it know I'm probably not going to even get to shoot an arrow. Even with a sight and release I still would be at a huge disadvantage over a compound and would only improve my range marginally.

Best advice I could give is join a local archery club......there's ALWAYS some traditional guys/gals in the club......pick their brain and they will probably take you under their wing and teach you what they know.......especially when talking about recurves and longbows. Also a great way to meet other bowhunters.

It is a nice option if you can put a sight on it. I had a machined aluminum riser recurve and put a flipper style rest with a cushion button and a sight on it (No peep) and shot it that way. It helped get my form together and when I removed the sight I was shooting good not as good but I believe it helped me with accuracy quicker. Never tried a release with one.

I have shot compounds for years but this year decided to try a recurve for fun. So far it's been a blast. Check out YouTube lots of nice videos on there to learn some pointers. I prefer no sights shooting off shelf of bow. Getting halfway decent out to 20.

Shooting a recurve is a very fun but challenging way to archery hunt. Instinctive is the way to go no sights and no releases but it will require alot more practice to be proficient.

You've got a cool Honey. Personally I would shoot trad, DOH....I do. Shot with wheels since early 70s and went back to my old recurve last year.
Evaluate your hunting priorities. Sights, releases, yada,yada,yada should make the shooting of an animal easier. You will get game without "la ecoutrimon" but it will a tougher situation, but ohhhh so satisfying.
Try visiting TRADGANG.COM , a great site with a ton of good info. Good luck with whatever you do.

I shoot a recurve "bare bow". No sights, no fancy arrow rest. I really enjoy it. I shoot in a style I adopted from the Japanese style of archery called Kyudo. Totally different philosophy. You don't "aim" the arrow. You concentrate on the target and if your form is correct, the arrow will hit the target. Pretty amazing. If you are missing the target, the book tells you how to correct your stance.

Welcome to the world of trad bows! I think you’ve gotten some pretty good advice so far. Tradgang is a really good forum, but it is really easy to get bogged down in the details. There is a pretty big diversity within the trad community, be can’t your bow don’t can’t your bow, shoot three under or split finger and of course sights or no sights. I think the most important thing is to pick what works for you. As mentioned YouTube is a really good recourse. A couple of the channels I like are archery adventures for form and tips and clay Hayes has a really good channel for just about everything for traditional bows. Byron furgesons book “become the arrow” is also really good. I would probably start close and from the ground up. By close I mean real close, like within 5 yards and just work on getting your form down. Once that progresses I would consider a sight. I just picked up a SRF sight from 3riversarchery to help with my form and grouping at distance. It’s all up to you. Good luck, you just dove down a rabbit hole that’s tough to get out of. But it is really fun and rewarding.
Zach

Last edited:
If you want to use a sight and release, why not just shoot compound? Recurves are nice for the simplicity. Shoot fingers, with your arrow on the shelf. There are a number of different aiming methods, several of which use the tip of your arrow as a reference. I personally prefer aiming using the fixed crawl, with three fingers under the arrow. This method is very accurate and repeatable at hunting distances.

The best advice I could give you is to watch a video called The Push on youtube. It goes through all the different types of traditional bows, riser types, aiming methods, form, etc. It will really shorten the learning curve for you.

Recurves and longbows are awesome and fun to shoot. I shoot instinctively and it's a lot of fun. Yes it does take practice.

Lots of good videos but if you want to read something this is detailed and informative.

Anthony Camera: Shooting the Stickbow 2nd edition. http://www.shootingthestickbow.com/

3 Rivers Archery is your friend!!! google them and order away! https://www.3riversarchery.com/

They have everything you need. Good folks. Selway Quivers are wonderful and look fantastic on a recurve or longbow.

I am back in the compound hunting arena after about a decade using trad bows (BW recurve and then started making my own R/D takedown longbows). Shooting a trad bow is a ton of fun for sure and I especially loved it with my kids. Shooting a compound at 10 feet next to my 5 year old isn't as much fun as with a trad bow.

I will hunt with them again soon. To start, I would recommend the OP make sure they enjoy shooting the recurve before dropping big coin on outfitting that gracious gift to hunt. Just enjoying the mystical flight of the arrow is a hoot, even if you hunt with a compound or a rifle...

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElknTrout
Back