Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

When is the best time to buy my sheep backpack and gear?

ErictheRed

I've a sheep hunt coming in 2020 and I need to get a proper pack and gear for the pack. When is the best time to get the best deal on these items? I was thinking about going to the Sheep Show and just buy on the floor of the show - no idea if that is a good approach. I could use some help here please.

I have not seen Kifaru or SG go on sale or any deals, Mystery Ranch is on camofire all the time and they have a garage sale once a year in Bozeman.

Guessing Dall sheep?

I've seen guys show up with stuff they bought at Walmart the week before... Packing out rams. People tent to over think the gear thing.

Get synthetic and wool/poly clothing. I wouldn't spend a fortune on the Gucci line of camo. I get by fine with the "cheap" stuff. You'd think it was impossible to kill sheep without kuiu.

IMO the most important things on a sheep hunt are boots and socks, rain gear, a puffy jacket, a rifle you can shoot well, and decent pack to carry all your junk. Going guided, you won't need a lot of extra stuff, but it's nice to have it too.

I'd start watching now for things to pop up, but after Christmas is usually the time to buy outdoor gear.

Good luck!

I'd setup an alert on FB and Ebay for what you are looking for. Just make sure its quality.

Go to a big outdoors show where can try out various packs and boots. Boots are critical if in the steep stuff. Packs that fit you when packing 100 pounds are worth every penny, on sale or not.

I agree with Bambistew. Your boots/socks are probably the most important. If your feet hurt, are wet, and uncomfortable, a 1 mile hike will feel like 10.

Also on the clothes. I have been hunting in the same coat since 1998. Cabelas insulated saddlecloth bowhunting jacket. I layer with wool and fleece and that jacket and I have never gotten cold or wet. I liked it so much I bought 2 more that are still sitting in the wrapper from when I bought them. Same with the pants. Saddlecloth uninsulated pants. Don't break the bank wearing the designer stuff. Use the $$$ for boots and a pack. Personally I have had great luck with Meindl boots and Mystery Ranch packs. I run a crew cab pack, but this spring picked up a new Marshall on Camo fire for 429.

When you have no kids and single. Work at a sporting goods store and get the pro deals spend more than you make and quite.

Figure out what pack(s) you want and buy new or watch for a used one to go on sale.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back