Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Best Sockeye Recipes?

Coop

My wife, her family, and I spent three weeks on the Kenai last year and brought home about 150 lbs. of fresh red fillets...We have been eating the heck out of it, but it seems so rich that I can only eat it about once a week. Looking for any recommendations on good recipes for reds? we've done cedar plank grilling, baking with sour cream and spices, and pan fried, among others, but I have yet to find a recipe that really makes me want to eat it again and again. Any ideas?

Again and again? Salmon chowder... I can eat it until I puke, and then will eat it again. Love it... Super easy, and tons of recipes out there.

Basics are:
1 onion
4-5 stalks celery
4 cups potatoes (prefer red)
cup or so of fresh frozen corn
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups half/half or a cup of heavy cream
one large salmon fillet cubed (add at the end, cook for a couple minutes)

Salt/pepper to taste
Ol Bay seasoning to taste

My other standby is Very Very Teriyaki marinade (6hrs +/-), grill skin side down until done.

Lastly... learn how to smoke it, and or can it. Canned fish tastes great for years... and is a nice little snack to pull out on the river or a hike. I like to use the 1/2 pint jars, i.e. single serving. I would recommend taking care of it sooner rather than later. It doesn't last more than about a year in the freezer.

We eat it at least once a week... Best to get it cleaned up in 6-9 months or less. The fats will start to get bitter(rancid) the longer it sits in the freezer, kings and silvers are even worse. I like to have all mine cleaned up before fishing season starts here. I'm down to about 20-25lbs to smoke.

Less is more when it comes to sockeye. Lemon pepper and olive oil. Cooked on the grill skin side down.

Again and again? Salmon chowder... I can eat it until I puke, and then will eat it again. Love it... Super easy, and tons of recipes out there.

Basics are:
1 onion
4-5 stalks celery
4 cups potatoes (prefer red)
cup or so of fresh frozen corn
4 cups chicken stock
2 cups half/half or a cup of heavy cream
one large salmon fillet cubed (add at the end, cook for a couple minutes)

Salt/pepper to taste
Ol Bay seasoning to taste

My other standby is Very Very Teriyaki marinade (6hrs +/-), grill skin side down until done.

Lastly... learn how to smoke it, and or can it. Canned fish tastes great for years... and is a nice little snack to pull out on the river or a hike. I like to use the 1/2 pint jars, i.e. single serving. I would recommend taking care of it sooner rather than later. It doesn't last more than about a year in the freezer.

We eat it at least once a week... Best to get it cleaned up in 6-9 months or less. The fats will start to get bitter(rancid) the longer it sits in the freezer, kings and silvers are even worse. I like to have all mine cleaned up before fishing season starts here. I'm down to about 20-25lbs to smoke.

I will definitely have to try those out. We did both some smoking and canning right away, and that is all going way too quick. That Teriyaki definitley catches my eye!

Here is a recipie I could eat everyday. I’m a big fan of sushi so I replace putting this on a cracker and put it on a bowl of rice.

Attachments

• 8BCC3BF2-9D69-4C7D-A9AF-23371B894EF5.jpg
    8BCC3BF2-9D69-4C7D-A9AF-23371B894EF5.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 111
GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back