Bass Fishing For Dummies

SDS14

Hey guys and gals,

I have been a trout and kokanee salmon fisherman my whole life. I have caught some nice trout and kokes over the years. Lately I have an interest is bass fishing. I have always been curious to catch a bass, but I have no clue where to begin. I am from central Utah and there are a few reservoirs that mostly have small mouth bass with some large mouth. My question is what tackle/technique should I use to catch bass. I know it's a broad question, but I honestly don't know where to begin. When I go to cabelas or sportsmans it's over whelming to see all the different lures and jigs to choose from for bass. I would mostly be fishing from a boat.

Thanks for your help.
-SDS14

For early season smallmouth in northern MN, southern Canada, casting crank baits along gravel shorelines is an easy way to have a lot of fun. We usually use a minnow coloration with a little extra chartreuse or crawfish coloration. Not sure about your neck of the woods. Later in season minnows on a jig over rocky piles or very deep running crank baits work, but not quite as easy.

I would try to perfect the soft baits. Tons of instructional videos. I’m a relatively new bass fisherman and I’ve found Senkos to be very effective. Top water frogs are definitely the most fun. FWIW, I just use my spinning rods, I haven’t dropped the coin on dedicated bass gear.

Night crawlers for largemouth bass if you don't want to think too hard. Tube jigs for both smallies and largemouth. When I lived in Utah I also had very good luck with rapalas and plastic baits that resembled crawdads. I can honestly say I never found it particularly tough to catch bass in Utah, so you should have some pretty consistent luck once you get past the learning curve.

In my experience, a fair amount of difference fishing small vs large -mouthed bass. Differences in water temp, depth, vegetation, lures, presentation and locations. My guess is JLS and Keeptrying are referring to largemouthed variety.

In my experience, a fair amount of difference fishing small vs large -mouthed bass. Differences in water temp, depth, vegetation, lures, presentation and locations. My guess is JLS and Keeptrying are referring to largemouthed variety.

Yes, I didn’t read all that well. Reservoir smallmouth = tube baits and rapalas. Fish around rock points, outcroppings, etc.

The black rubber work comment is a joke, "Use any color rubber work you want, so long as it is black." :)

Sinking rapalas and crawfish rubber bait tend to work better for smallies. Not real good at it, but have had my days. Small mouth are pretty easy to catch. Sometimes. Trolling spinner baits can work well too over rocky points, but that's getting more complicated. Tossing rapalas and rubber baits is really simple and catches fish.

My go to smallie baits are 1) 4" senko fished texas rigged w a weight or wacky style. 2) Tube bait with a tube jighead 3) Rapala X-rap 4) white/silver spinner bait if there is some chop on the water. 5) EARLY SEASON ripping/jigging a silver buddy is tough to beat

I've had repeated success with Gary Yamamoto (sp) rigged on 1/4 ounce football jigs. I personally like the watermellon or chartreuse color best. Works for me on both large and small mouths.

I personally like the watermelon or chartreuse color best. Works for me on both large and small mouths.

"if it ain't chartreuse, it ain't no use"

wacky rig, texas rig, jigs with double and single tail. I love topwater for both varieties. Pound for pound they are one of the best fighting freshwater fish. Their is a lot of technique for bass, but those fished right will catch a lot of fish

There are a gazillion methods, baits, ways etc to fish and maybe catch some bass. If you want to go straight to the "catching" part, read this;
http://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest...to-table-rock-lake-according-to-david-reeves/

The Ned Rig flat out gets bit, largemouth, smallies, whatever. Is super easy for anyone to fish (all my wife and daughter want to fish anymore). There is a lot of misinformation out there - follow what Dave says and his specific tackle recommendations and you will catch them. I spent the weekend fishing strip pits in IL catching I dont know how many Largemouth on several baits, but lots on the Ned. I will be up at Sturgeon Bay in 2 weeks, the Smallmouth up there love them and will eat them - they always do. Any question give me a yell.

Good luck!

PS - Not to slam anyone, but Gopher Tackle is mentioned as a jig head source - suggest seeking other sources first...leave it at that....

Last edited:
There are a gazillion methods, baits, ways etc to fish and maybe catch some bass. If you want to go straight to the "catching" part, read this;
http://www.in-fisherman.com/midwest...to-table-rock-lake-according-to-david-reeves/

The Ned Rig flat out gets bit, largemouth, smallies, whatever. Is super easy for anyone to fish (all my wife and daughter want to fish anymore). There is a lot of misinformation out there - follow what Dave says and his specific tackle recommendations and you will catch them. I spent the weekend fishing strip pits in IL catching I dont know how many Largemouth on several baits, but lots on the Ned. I will be up at Sturgeon Bay in 2 weeks, the Smallmouth up there love them and will eat them - they always do. Any question give me a yell.

Good luck!

PS - Not to slam anyone, but Gopher Tackle is mentioned as a jig head source - suggest seeking other sources first...leave it at that....

That link is horrible.

I just don't have the patience for plastics, I mostly throw crankbaits. Can't go wrong with any type of Rapala; minnow baits or deep divers like a shad rap. Model A bomber 1/4-3/8 oz is also a favorite. Just get a few lighter colors; white, silver, chartreuse, etc. and a few darker colors. Under the right conditions bass can be suckers for topwater lures; poppers or torpedo baits, color is usually not that important.

Find rocks and you will find smallmouth out west if they are in that body of water. I caught them all the time while fishing crawler harnesses for walleye and trout.

Back