Utah Draw Odds

Trekker308

Congrats on everyone who drew this year! Unfortunately, I was unsuccessful at drawing my general season mule deer hunt. I had zero points applying. While using gohunt, I applied for a couple hard units, but chose easier units as my last 3 choices. My last unit was 98% draw odds. The hunts were for resident rifle, general season mule deer. So I have a better understanding next year, how does the system work? Did I do anything wrong or was I just the unlucky bunch who didn’t draw?

Last edited:
Hard to explain via text so I hope I make sense
The odds are going to fluctuate over the next couple years because of closing the "loophole" can no longer earn points for drawing 2nd choice.
So #1 people have accumulated 2-5 points applying for oak Creek and hunting the Wasatch without ever wanting to hunt oak Creek. So no the draw the Wasatch caching in their points.
I hope I'm wrong but I think the days of rifle hunting even a lesser unit every year are gone in utah. You'll have to sit out a year to gain a point.
All if you have zero points and apply for a unit that has 0% of its tags go to zero point holders your hurting yourself. Gen deer is a preference system so no random tags.
Hope this helps

Most UT permits are drawn by first choice applicants so the 2nd through 5th choices are largely a waste of time. You can only draw second choice if there were not enough people applying for a hunt 1st choice to draw all the tags. Draw odds can also change from year to year or you may have gotten really unlucky. Without knowing what hunts you applied for, I can’t be sure what happen, but it sounds like you may be misunderstanding how the draw works. Hope this makes since and is helpful. If not, maybe someone else can explain it better.

Most UT permits are drawn by first choice applicants so the 2nd through 5th choices are largely a waste of time. You can only draw second choice if there were not enough people applying for a hunt 1st choice to draw all the tags. Draw odds can also change from year to year or you may have gotten really unlucky. Without knowing what hunts you applied for, I can’t be sure what happen, but it sounds like you may be misunderstanding how the draw works. Hope this makes since and is helpful. If not, maybe someone else can explain it better.

So if most tags are given in the first choice, should I pick the most likely unit first? I was under the impression all my choices were considered. I used the “swing for the fences” tactic for my first picks and better odds with my last. I’ll have one point next year, so will I get a hunt with one point in a unit with 100% odds.

What can I hunt for now? I only have a rifle and a lot of hunting equipment to try out.

If you are most interested in hunting any deer next year, I would apply for a unit with high draw odds that has decent public access. There a lot of other variables though such as success rates, proximity to your home may also be important, terrain, etc. The application period for antlerless deer, elk, antelope permits in UT will open soon so you could apply for all of those species but I am note sure how many options there are with zero points. You can also buy spike elk tags or a any bull tag in UT. Those hunts are for certain units only but as long as you don’t wait to long, you can get a tag and hunt.

Draw odds only really matter on the 1st choice.

Pick the unit you want to hunt with your first choice.

The 2nd through 5th choices are for units like Kamas and Box Elder which can have left overs.

People now have to burn points or sit out a year or two.

Your best option may be to pick and OTC tag up in Idaho for deer.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back