Spot X 2 Way Messenger

I'm very interested in getting one of these. The Garmins are out of my price range when you add in the service plan. I've been running a SPOT Gen 1 for 5+ yerars and my wife loves that I can check in on solo trips. When I showed her the Spot X yesterday she gave me the thumbs up.

I was told that GlobalStar sent a few dozen new LEO satellites up in 2013 and that in the lower 48 that has pretty much resolved the connectivity issues that had plagued SPOT prior to that. Wondering if that is true? Have folks had a tough time connecting to the satellites in the last couple years with their SPOTs?

I have a SPOT, and it is simply a function of the InReach being too damn expensive. It's clear that the InReach is a better product, but relative to the cost of the two, I don't know if it is 6 times better.

I was told that GlobalStar sent a few dozen new LEO satellites up in 2013 and that in the lower 48 that has pretty much resolved the connectivity issues that had plagued SPOT prior to that. Wondering if that is true? Have folks had a tough time connecting to the satellites in the last couple years with their SPOTs?

I have a SPOT, and it is simply a function of the InReach being too damn expensive. It's clear that the InReach is a better product, but relative to the cost of the two, I don't know if it is 6 times better.

This weekend a friend's SPOT (Gen 3 of the 1-way communicator) failed to send twice while hiking. Luckily we knew the area he was in and he was actually at the vehicle when his girlfriend drove up. We attributed the failure due to terrain and tree cover which could have affected any satellite receiver.

EDIT: Garmin is still supporting Delorme versions and they can still be purchased and are relatively cheap compared the Garmin version.

Interested in anyone that is able to explain sat phone vs the various text-only offerings. I activate a sat phone I own if going into boonies. Not a cheap date though has worked great. Previously I used a 1st Gen Spot with 1 user-defined message, two hard-coded messages, and had location transmission which involved blinking lights that could take several minutes to get the visual affirmation the transmission got to a satellite. Annoying when was not an emergency situation and thankfully never found out what my reaction would be as waited to see an emergency beacon was successfully sent.

With the Garmin Mini out it looks like the difference is $100 for that price I'm going with the better network. What's the point of a SPOT if it doesn't work... I want a satellite messaging for areas with 0 cell service, not areas where there is just poor service. For 80% of MT, Colorado, WY you can usually get cell service if you hike up high enough if you have to hike up to the top of a ridge to get spot service and you can just use your phone when you get there what is the point?

Last edited:

This is my situation exactly. I've had a SPOT for about 7 years. It's clearly an inferior product in comparison, but it's been 100% reliable where I hike, climb, and hunt. Starting from scratch no way I'd buy it, but having the device in hand it's much cheaper for what I need it for.

That inReach mini looks pretty interesting to me.

Anybody know if OnX maps are ever going to be available on an inReach?

That inReach mini looks pretty interesting to me.

Anybody know if OnX maps are ever going to be available on an inReach?

Garmin would need to put in an SD slot. Since this pairs with Garmin's Earthmate app (which does have an ok optional ownership map & orthoimagery) I don't think they'll do it for some times

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back