Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
  1. Default

If you read his book he cut his teeth backpack hunting in the eagle cap wilderness. Now days in not sure what percentage of his hunting is DIY but he is certainly qualified to talk about it.

By the way on the podcast he talked about that he is a government employee himself. (Local water department)

He hunts public land every year.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by WapitiBob View Post
    He hunts public land every year.
    That was my understanding.

I listen to most of the JRE podcasts as he tends to have guest that share my similar interests; science, hunting, jiu-jitsu. I thought the Cam Hanes podcast(s) were great. Like others have said, I don't always agree with everything they (him and Rogan) say, but I think they are great ambassadors for the sport. Cam Hanes cut his teeth DIY backcountry hunting so I'm not going to be bothered that he takes a free ranch hunt that most of us would if in that position.
    The only thing that will change my opinion of Cam is that if I find out he's on TRT. He seems like such a freak athlete that it seems hard to believe that he can do the things that he does. I couldn't imagine training like that and not injuring myself.

The podcast had a lot of BS in it. CH’s explanation why the UT monuments happened was simply Zinke talking points. He started using the Access argument which is the new standard line for the transfer crowd. He couldn’t answer Rogan when asked if access needed opened up for the Eagle Cap Wilderness. CH also mentioned no mining permits will ever be sold for the monument properties although it’s already happened.

I like CH but he’s not a politician.

I have mad respect for Cam as an athlete. He's inspired lots of people to get in better shape, or just get in shape period. Hunters and non-hunters. There's definite value to that. There was a time a few years ago I found him really inspirational. If you put him, Rinella, and Randy in an athletic competition, he wins hands down. Rinella has that kind of wiry cowboy tough that doesn't show a lot of muscle, but you know he's a strong MF, but he's not Cam Haines. I aspire to be the kind of athlete Rinella is. I don't have the time or the want to be Cam Haines.

I do find Cam a little bit of a meathead, if you will. He focuses so much on lifting and "Hammering" and not so much on the conservation aspect. His social media is all about running and lifting and shooting. Not so much does he use it as a platform for a discussion of conservation and ethics among other things. Not a criticism, just is what it is. The first podcast I heard him do with Rogan, Joe would ask a question about something he and Rinella talked about and you could tell Cam was a little out of his element. I liken Cam to that buddy of yours that you sit down and drink a beer with and make fart jokes and he's a warm nice guy that you value his friendship, but your buddy Rinella is the guy you sit down with and get deep with. You don't make fart jokes with Rinella.

I think most criticism of Cam and Jason Hairston is based on the fact you have two guys who could have been at the forefront of the conservation conversations several years ago but weren't and now they suddenly are. Why? And why were they chosen? The fear is they are political puppets who are happy that the new "cool guy" just threw them an attaboy and they'll tow the company line because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by 7Bartman View Post
    The only thing that will change my opinion of Cam is that if I find out he's on TRT. He seems like such a freak athlete that it seems hard to believe that he can do the things that he does. I couldn't imagine training like that and not injuring myself.
    Just curious. I dont think he has ever come out and said it but would honestly be surprised? And what would that do to your opinion of him? Doesnt change mine. TRT doesnt make you jump off the couch and run a marathon a day, lift weights, shoot your bow, work and still have energy for your family. If it does maybe I need to talk to my Dr about amping up my doses! Lol
    I'm turning off Real Life Drive and thats right I'm hittin Easy Street on mud tires

Quote Originally Posted by MN Public Hunter View Post
    Just because you reach a lot of people does not means it's a good thing.....
    I have to say I disagree Joe Rogan has done a decent job in most of what I have heard. He definitely lacks in detail and fine points but his passion does come through and he is a better representative of hunting than 99% of celebrity hunters. Including Mr hanes.(who does appear to be leg humping Zinkes horse)
    He is definitely preaching to an audience that likely would never think about hunting otherwise. 16 million downloads a month!

https://youtu.be/5ORvFMGapNk

P.s. you don't have to listen to reply as I probably won't read it anyway
    I'm pretty sure the thermal's hate me

Off topic but hunttalkers will really enjoy the latest meateater podcast with Senator Heinrich who seems to disagree with chairman Bishop on a few talking points.
    "Washington DC- Steven Rinella talks with Senator Martin Heinrich, along with Janis Putelis of the MeatEater crew.
    Subjects Discussed: thinking long-term; the path to becoming a Senator; the politician and the elk; the Sabinoso Wilderness as a big win for hunters; what’s up with the HUNT Act; why reforming the fire budget is so damn important; stream access issues and how they affect sportsmen; why the Land and Water Conservation Fund is always imperiled, and why it shouldn’t be; what’s up with the Antiquities Act?; National Monuments; and more."

http://www.themeateater.com/podcasts...ator-heinrich/
    I'm pretty sure the thermal's hate me

So are you guys just bitching on the internet, or are you writing Joe and asking him to get someone on that represents a more informed view?

Same with Cam?

Would love to listen to a Rogan pod cast featuring some of the HT regulars talking about these issues. You guys are more informed than 90% of the hunting world, even when you're wrong and I vociferously disagree with you.
    get over it commies..
    JWP58

I listened to it last night and definitely think Cam Hanes sounds clueless about a lot of the issues they were talking about. As was mentioned earlier, Rogan doesn't tend to press his guests on issues or disagree with them. I would bet Rinella listened to the podcast and I kept wondering what he was thinking as he listened to Hanes talk about bills, monuments, access, etc. The part where he brought up Zinke's "bill, I want to call it a bill, I'm not sure" to protect migration corridors was particularly painful to listen to.

I don't necessarily think Cam Hanes is a bad spokesman for hunting, but he sounds like a meathead when he tries talking about political issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Lamb View Post
    So are you guys just bitching on the internet, or are you writing Joe and asking him to get someone on that represents a more informed view?

Same with Cam?

Would love to listen to a Rogan pod cast featuring some of the HT regulars talking about these issues. You guys are more informed than 90% of the hunting world, even when you're wrong and I vociferously disagree with you.
    Surely you can't be serious....(tongue in cheek as I'm sure you get the sarcasm).
    God's trying to bless America, there's just too many people getting in the way.

Originally Posted by Ben Lamb
    This is a poem of anonymity and blood.

I approve. Well done.

get over it commies..
    JWP58

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Lamb View Post
    I was to lazy to look for the video....

Keep Hammerin!

I approve. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudranger1 View Post
    Just curious. I dont think he has ever come out and said it but would honestly be surprised? And what would that do to your opinion of him? Doesnt change mine. TRT doesnt make you jump off the couch and run a marathon a day, lift weights, shoot your bow, work and still have energy for your family. If it does maybe I need to talk to my Dr about amping up my doses! Lol
    Maybe not surprised, but disappointed. It would change my opinion. I would see it as false advertising. He's an advocate for hard work, but I think it would be overwhelmingly misleading if he's using TRT. TRT can certainly give you a leg up on all the things you mention, especially on being able to recover after doing all that training and being able to train at a higher intensity. Rogan is has admitted he uses it. The optimal serum levels of testosterone to target are somewhat subjective and often dosed at higher levels. I'm a pharmacologist and a pharmacist so I'm well aware of what goes on.
    To Cam's other claim about lazy public workers, I see it everyday. There are a lot of hard workers on the public dime, but many lazy ones too. Granted there are bad apples in every segment, the government does a bad job of weeding them out and firing them.

16. Default

Cam had a podcast once about ultras that he discussed not being able to do leg workouts as his legs would get to big and rub together. That’s when I knew he was on something. Frankly, you will see zero judgment from me on that. You still have to do the work to see the results!

17. Default

I relistened to the entire podcast tonight while attending to chores. The initial post of this thread is so far off base as to what was actually said I can only think that this is nothing but a critisism of someone who believes Zinke is trying to do the right thing. CH never said anything negative about federal employees, that was Rogan, and in many cases he is right. Let me know how your next trip to the DMV goes.

These two are reaching more people, and sharing hunting in a more positive light than anyone else I can think of. Maybe CH isn't the most eloquent or on point guy when it comes to the finer points, but he is at the table trying to affect positive change. He claims he was involved in regards to Chaffetz and sales of public land being shut down, can anyone dispute that? Does anyone know if the National Park volunteers actually we're asked to write a report and refused before resigning?

Either way, if all you took out of that three hour podcast was the two minutes of input over federal employees you may be missing some perspective when it comes to listening to these conversations. Once again, I don't know what you listened to, and as you haven't provided a link I probably never will. I listened to their conversation as it was broadcast, twice, and I didn't hear what you claim.

18. Default

Quote Originally Posted by icebreaker12 View Post
    Cam had a podcast once about ultras that he discussed not being able to do leg workouts as his legs would get to big and rub together. That’s when I knew he was on something. Frankly, you will see zero judgment from me on that. You still have to do the work to see the results!
    He runs a marathon a day. I can only imagine the caloric intake it would require to build muscle to the point of worrying about your legs rubbing together while maintaining that training level. So much room for interpretation regarding TRT. No secret that many are using it to increase performance, but he is a middle aged man who likely is using it. Like 7Bartman said, it's purely subjective, and depending on your Dr. the doses can be pretty significant.

Meh. Makes no difference to me.

Quote Originally Posted by icebreaker12 View Post
    I can appreciate the work aspect of it, but the average person can't put in work at that magnitude and still have periods of active recovery. Most people that put in that kind of work are going to get injured or be in constant catabolism. I would think it is disingenuous to suggest that you just need to "work harder" when in reality many are using a crutch that allows them to train at that level. Again, not accusing Cam of anything, however I would be highly disappointed if I found out otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Keeptrying View Post
    I relistened to the entire podcast tonight while attending to chores. The initial post of this thread is so far off base as to what was actually said I can only think that this is nothing but a critisism of someone who believes Zinke is trying to do the right thing. CH never said anything negative about federal employees, that was Rogan, and in many cases he is right. Let me know how your next trip to the DMV goes.
    Hey now, credit where credit is due, the danged feds don't issue your license plates.

But, like Buzz said, that criticism comes with the territory. I'm a gov't employee and I didn't find the remarks offensive. There are some truly lazy people I work around just coasting through life, same as when I was in the private sector.

21. Default

Quote Originally Posted by LCH View Post
    Hey now, credit where credit is due, the danged feds don't issue your license plates.

But, like Buzz said, that criticism comes with the territory. I'm a gov't employee and I didn't find the remarks offensive. There are some truly lazy people I work around just coasting through life, same as when I was in the private sector.
    I must have been very fortunate then, when I was in the USFS. Everyone I worked with as both a Archaeologist and on the fire line, showed nothing but 100% commitment, put in long hours and generally busted their a$$.

I would say the ratio of hard workers to slackers in the Government is about the same as in the private sector.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb278 View Post
    I must have been very fortunate then, when I was in the USFS. Everyone I worked with as both a Archaeologist and on the fire line, showed nothing but 100% commitment, put in long hours and generally busted their a$$.

I would say the ratio of hard workers to slackers in the Government is about the same as in the private sector.
    Oh, definitely not the majority where I work. It only takes a few to give everyone that reputation though..

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb278 View Post

I'd agree with that statement in bold, but the only difference is my tax dollars don't go directly to the private sector. I would complain about those companies too, but have the choice to move my dollars elsewhere.

I approve. Well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zach View Post
    I'd agree with that statement in bold, but the only difference is my tax dollars don't go directly to the private sector. I would complain about those companies too, but have the choice to move my dollars elsewhere.
    They don't? Defense contractors, farm bill recipients/beneficiaries, corn subsidies, energy incentives, tax credits, housing and asset building subsidies, export subsidies, cash for clunkers, loan guarantees.....etc. etc.
    Four of a kind, 7x57, 284 winchester, 7 Remington Mag, 7 Mashburn.

Quote Originally Posted by jryoung View Post
    They don't? Defense contractors, farm bill recipients/beneficiaries, corn subsidies, energy incentives, tax credits, housing and asset building subsidies, export subsidies, cash for clunkers, loan guarantees.....etc. etc.
    Disingenuous at best, you know they go through gubment coffers first.

Carry on with the Rogan/Hanes bashing.... Errrr critique.

I approve. Well done.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast