Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

New Mexico Unit 45

aahrens_83

Hey Y'all

Going to be hunting unit 45 at the end of September (for mule deer). Wondering if any elk hunters have any wise words for this unit. I was just north of this unit last year elk hunting in the Carson Nat'l Forest. I'm planning on getting as far away from Santa Fe and that whole sw side to get away from foot and road traffic. Any helpful advice would be appreciated. Weather expectations, pressure, stay away from areas or things to be prepared for.

Thank you,

With the recent fires the burns in the Pecos Cyn,up above the bluffs would be a spot. Always see folks drive right past elk & deer before the wilderness too. Go where there are no 2 tracks or EZ ways in & you will find deer. Not many but some nice ones.

I believe he is referring to the Pecos National Monument in the town of Pecos itself. I personally accessed the wilderness from Jack's Creek and made my way to Hamilton Mesa. Its a healthy hike but does hold all of the species. I know a lot of people also like to come in through the Rociada side

Aahrens, I have the archery hunt 1-24 Sept for mulies, I might be able to provide a little insight once I am done. I have never hunted this unit, but have been in it a few times. Do you guys know if you can ever find good bucks up at tree line? I was looking at some of the basins around Jicarita peak but didn't know if they frequently make their way up that high, or leave that to the sheep. I am going to try and make my way over from OK in August to do some scouting and Ill let you know what I find.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back