New satellite communicator - SpotX

Too bad they still use the GlobalStar satellite system. That is the biggest drawback to the SPOT products in my opinion.

Why is that bad??? Do they no perform very well? I'm looking for something to use to communicate on the mountain that isn't a ton of money...

Why is that bad??? Do they no perform very well? I'm looking for something to use to communicate on the mountain that isn't a ton of money...

Spot works EXTREMELY slowly. Like 20 minutes sometime to get a one way message out. For me I tired of staying awake waiting and waiting for a messge to go out so I could shuit it off to save the battery.

Inreach takes seconds tro a minute at most it seems. Inreach has VERY flexible data plans you can turn off/on for months when not using versus SPot has one expensive annual plan, Over a few years the cost differential aint that much for a light or seasonal user.

Add in thAtr inreach is 2-way and you can write any custom message you want on the fly and Inreach is a better value. (For me)

Just ditched my old SPOT service and bought last year's inReach Explore+ and then the new baby inreach and the new spotX come out -- bummer, I shoulda waited a few weeks and I would have had 3 choices, instead of 1.

My personal experience is that the Irridium network is better even in the lower 48. Specially Montana and Wyoming. My main source of comparison was an InReach and a SPOT phone so it wasn’t exactly apples to apples but my InReach was WAY better at getting reception than the SPOT phone every time we tried to use either of them. My buddy gave up on his phone and just started having me send texts for him.

Spot X offers monthly plans for service...but sounds like performance is poor? I would be using it in Colorado

Didnt realize there was already a post on this. FWIW, I've never had an issue with service in nearly 10 years.

Yeah we're very cautious about the Spot coverage in the 1 way communicator. We often do 8-10 day hitches in the backcountry for work and have a double check in system...Spot 3 times daily and radio check in as required by the local Ranger. Multiple times we've had failure to send by our 2nd generation Spot communicator. If it hadn't been for the radio check in somebody's spouse would have definitely called Search and Rescue.

I was hoping that this spot's ability to 2 way communicate would resolve potential issues but bad coverage is still bad.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back