Yeti GOBOX Collection

Recommendations for .270 non-lead <130gr bullets?

Irrelevant

Going for lopes this fall for the first time. Thought maybe I should drop down a bit from the 140gr bullets I'm currently shooting. Plus, after talking to the guys at the Hunt More Less Lead booth at the BHA rende I really want to go away from lead. So far my tikka has been for finicky than I had hoped. I've yet to find any combo that gets much better than moa. I don't suppose anyone out there with a similar rifle has found something small that works?

My tikka 270 shoots 130 ttsx with 54.5 grains of Ramshot Hunter in .75moa @2975

It shoots 110 ttsx with 59 grains of hunter .5moa @3200

I load them to 3.336 oal which is magazine length in the tikka.

130 ttsx shoots great out of my Tikka 270 WSM. I've also shot 140 grain tsx out of it with very good luck. I think you'll be pleased that you are making the switch. I know I'll never shoot lead again for a hunting bullet.

My tikka 270 shoots 130 ttsx with 54.5 grains of Ramshot Hunter in .75moa @2975

It shoots 110 ttsx with 59 grains of hunter .5moa @3200

I load them to 3.336 oal which is magazine length in the tikka.

you mind sharing the rest of that 110 recipe? That's dang good man

Yeah it was the minimum load in Barnes No4 I worked to max but it was the best accuracy I found.

Yeah it was the minimum load in Barnes No4 I worked to max but it was the best accuracy I found.

.5MOA sounds good to me too though. I meant to suggest that neffa had some room to work with that load. Ramshot Hunter is getting to be quite a popular powder. One day when I burn through my Hybrid 100V I may have to give it a shot in my 270

I like the Barnes Vor-tx 130. I've used them 4yrs for antelope in Wyoming. I shoot them out of my Browning A-bolt 270. Last year shot the antelope at 367, the shot was spot on.

Thanks guys, especially goldenarrow and mthuntr. I tried 130gr ttsx with both H4350 and 4831 without much luck, so I was leaning away from barnes. Sounds like I should give them another try.

I shoot Federal Fusion 130gr and wanted to try an all copper bullet so I bought a box of the Barnes VOR-TX in 130 grain and man they shot way different out of my gun. They grouped fine but were 6" high and 2" right at 100 yards compared to the fusion ammo, crazy i wasn't expecting that they would be that different, but talking to the guy at Barnes that is normal.

I'm not a gluten free/lead-free guy, but I stay with the 140 grainers in my 270 Wby. Wyoming is a windy SOB so I like using the heavier bullets and have good success that way. I'm also the guy that likes to stick with what works with my hunting loads where some guys enjoy the tinkering, I don't.
I'd at least consider using heavier bullets.

130 gr. Nosler E-tip would be worth a try. My son's 6mm Remington sure likes the 90 gr. E-tip. He's taken antelope, deer, and a nice cow elk with it. All one shot kills!

Being cost conscious (cheap) I tried the Federal Power Shok last fall in the 130gr. for my Kimber .270. I mean for $28.99/ box can you really beat that!? The BC is not the best, but from what I had read they seemed to be good rounds for the money. Shooting them last summer I was impressed in how well they grouped. I'm not an exceptional shot by any stretch but for my effective range, 350 yards and under, I was impressed. During the season that setup was able to harvest one mule deer buck, one mule deer doe, three whitetail does, one cow elk and an antelope buck. Shots varied from 60 yards out to 300. A couple of those required a second shot but that was due to the placement of the first shot and at no fault of the bullet.

I have used the 129 gr Barnes LRX with good results. I set them .010 off the lands and I shot 3/4" groups with them, which is pretty much all I am capable of anyway. I had good groups at 60.5 grns of H4831sc averaging around 3070 fps.

.270, I tried that exact combo with much worse results, like 1.75" 5-shot groups. I worked up and down the powder range without getting any better (though it got worse).

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back