Airlines and Skulls-AKA when pigs fly

BucksnDucks

I'm flying into Montana later this month for my nephew's graduation. I have a bleached boar skull I would like to give to him. I plan on taking this as my carry on.
Has anyone ever travelled with skulls as a carry on item or know if it is allowed?
Also, in California Wild Pigs are considered "big game animals" not sure if Montana would be concerned with documentation or declaration paperwork.
Thanks

Flew from England to Idaho with a Roe Buck skull in my carry-on. No problems.

I would contact the airline you're going to fly. Go as far up the food chain as you can and if they say "no problem", request a confirming email. Take a copy of the email when you board the plane. You may also want to check with TSA.

DaveN and Sawtooth, I see a pattern evolving here!
Hopefully another forum member will do the same thing later this year!

Regarding the OP, I would ask the airline, but I think it's more a case for animal skulls from outside the US, I'm sure you will be fine, just print off their answer, just in case!

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:
I might suggest packing it securely in a checked bag instead. Carry on bags run through the scanner and you never know what may happen with the folks running it. If they get picky about liquids just imagine teeth and tusks!

My son works for the TSA and says he sees these come through once in awhile and its no problem.

You would be surprised what people try to carry on hes got stories every week...........

I'm flying into Montana later this month for my nephew's graduation. I have a bleached boar skull I would like to give to him. I plan on taking this as my carry on.
Has anyone ever travelled with skulls as a carry on item or know if it is allowed?
Also, in California Wild Pigs are considered "big game animals" not sure if Montana would be concerned with documentation or declaration paperwork.
Thanks

My understanding is that as long as it is dry, you should have no problem. For example, Delta Airlines says:
"Antlers must be free of residue, the skull must be wrapped and the tips protected"

Back