Tripod or Monopod?

fap1800

Looking for feedback on what to use this year during this year's elk hunt. I've been lucky enough to go 2 for 2 the last couple years, so this year I plan on getting some footage since I'll be shooter number 4. Anyway, I just bought a nice used Sony RX10iii and have a BogPod tripod with the pistol grip camera mount for it that I use for glassing. Just wondering if I'd be better off with a monopod? Quick note...I'll also be doing quite a bit of calling. So maybe I just answered my own question. :p

Looking for feedback on what to use this year during this year's elk hunt. I've been lucky enough to go 2 for 2 the last couple years, so this year I plan on getting some footage since I'll be shooter number 4. Anyway, I just bought a nice used Sony RX10iii and have a BogPod tripod with the pistol grip camera mount for it that I use for glassing. Just wondering if I'd be better off with a monopod? Quick note...I'll also be doing quite a bit of calling. So maybe I just answered my own question. :p

I use monopod for all sports and outdoor photography unless very low light or time lapse.

Monopod is fine,I just think that the tripod would be more stable and as you said you'll be calling. Tripod hands free and free standing.

Weight is a main factor for myself. My primary use is for stability for bino and (or) spotting scope. I'll attach my phone adapter for video and pics. Not near the quality as with your setup.

The trek pole with the mount is a great multi use monopole tool though for my use, if packing the spotting scope weight, I'm packing the tripod.

If you’re calling and filming I would the the tripod is the way to go.

If video is what your after, than use a tripod. I say that because I've experienced a couple things using a monopod:
1. If you end up in a high wind situation, then it's difficult to keep the camera steady using a monopod.
2. If rifle hunting, sometimes the sound blast can cause the non-shooting person to startle/flinch and that can induce unwanted movement at a critical moment of your video.

Thanks for all the feedback...it's definitely appreciated. I think I'm going to stick with the tripod and just deal with the extra weight. This is a general tag archery hunt in WY. We've had a good couple of hunts the past few years and it would be nice to document them a bit more so in 10 or 20 years you can revisit.

Going tri pod is the way I'd go. Don't need one quite as heavy as you might think. Carry something to put rocks or what ever in and when you set the tri pod up, hang the bag under the tri pod but just touching the ground. That anchor will increase the weight and you don't have to carry it far.

Back