Tourniquets

Brian in Montana

Doing some refresher training on tourniquets and basic field trauma. Any of you carry a tourniquet in your hunting pack?

I've never carried an actual tourniquet but I have plenty of other things in my pack or on my person that could be used as one.

No. I have them with my medical kits, but not my hunting kit.

Probably not a bad idea, but like said above if it is that serious I have plenty of rope. Most wounds require direct pressure over tq. Man, I sure hope it never comes to that.

Making and or having a tourniquet is the easy part. Knowing when and how often to release it is the the problem for most.

I carry them in my EMT jump kit, but people can misuse them and cause more harm than good. as long as you are trained to use them, go ahead. I prefer the quick ratcheting ones myself.

I have it in my pack, but its effectiveness vs how remote you are is debatable.

With so many cases of improvised tourniquets failing (something like 75%) and a CAT Tourniquet being light and easily packed, I usually carry one when backpacking and hunting. Actually I usually just take my FAK off of my Plate Carrier and mount it on my pack. I know how and when to use it and though I don't see a situation hunting that would require one, I carry it anyway. A CAT Tourniquet is only $25 so I'd rather that than trying to improvise with a belt, rifle sling, or rope.

Making and or having a tourniquet is the easy part. Knowing when and how often to release it is the the problem for most.

When and how to release it? Once they’re applied they stay on. I’d never attempt to release one.

Mine never comes out of my pack. It goes everywhere with me. There has been a lot of positive information coming out about tourniquets. For a lot of us in the woods it could be your only chance of survival if something goes wrong.

It's funny that all of a sudden everyone is a tourniquet expert. You put it on and don't do anything else with it. But, chances are, if the wound is on your leg, you'd rip the wound back open walking out of the woods. If you're wounded to the point that you need one, you should probably hitting the sos button on whatever beacon you use, because you're about screwed after losing enough blood in the time it takes you to get it on properly. My recommendation, using this in combat, is to use a tampon in the wound and wrap it with an Isreali bandage wrapped as tight as you can get it without cutting off circulation. Too many people are too quick to go right to a tourniquet when most of the time direct pressure and compression will fix the problem.

Too many people are too quick to go right to a tourniquet when most of the time direct pressure and compression will fix the problem.
Cush, well expressed and very important point. Although the video is good, the cautionary notes are as important, if not moreso, than the instruction. The risk of permanent nerve and tissue damage, as well as increased pain, makes the use of a tourniquet a last-resort remedy for excessive bleeding.

Absolutely. The guidelines she gives for using a tourniquet is why I thought it was a good one. It really should be of last resort, but if a limb is pouring blood you likely will not be able to control it with pressure.

The first link I posted and the video contradict one another concerning placement. Video says above joint, link says as distal to the injury as possible. The video is an informational piece intended to help bystanders have an idea of what to do and how to be sure it is appropriate, while the link is for more advanced persons and a set of guidelines more than anything.

Such discussions are good. Better is for people to take the time to either educate themselves, or receive professional training. I understand not everyone can afford training, but there is plenty of information out there if you seek it.

I have had several courses over 4 decades on outdoors and wilderness training for dealing with emergencies. General guidance at my first truing and even not at my most recent is if you put a tourniquet on a limb then presume anything beyond that point is going to be amputated. You can try to save the limb with loosening the tourniquet though odds are you will fail as conditions will not be ideal in the field. A trained medical professional in an ER with support staff and an array of equipment and medications at hand should get better results than one of us trying to save a buddy on a mountainside with darkness approaching and snow blowing. Losing a limb to live for another day is not a bad option vs. a bleed out that results in death that day.

Yup. I can limp around just fine if needed. I'll take one leg over dead any day.

You have two hours before you need to start worrying about tissue and nerve damage when dealing with a properly applied tq. All efforts should be put into getting a helicopter on site for transport asap.

The data from usage in Iraq and Afghanistan is to put them on and tighten until blood flow stops. Then do NOT Release pressure EVER. Leave the tourniquets on until you get to a medical center. As of the most recent review, no member of the military was shown to have lost a limb due to blood flow restriction tied to the use of tourniquet.

I carry a CAT tourniquet from North American Rescue. If I’m with other people, I may vary and carry other versions. The important thing is to know how to apply it and to have practiced with it.

The data from usage in Iraq and Afghanistan is to put them on and tighten until blood flow stops. Then do NOT Release pressure EVER. Leave the tourniquets on until you get to a medical center. As of the most recent review, no member of the military was shown to have lost a limb due to blood flow restriction tied to the use of tourniquet.

I carry a CAT tourniquet from North American Rescue. If I’m with other people, I may vary and carry other versions. The important thing is to know how to apply it and to have practiced with it.

I guess you would call it common SENSE. If the leg is destroyed from the knee down and a tourniquet is placed above the knee to stop the blooding then you would never release it. If it is a bullet wound with no exit you can stick your finger in it !

Back