Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Public Land Bison in Idaho

Wayne99

Just finished up reading "Last Stand: George Bird Grinnell, the Battle to Save the Buffalo, and the Birth of the New West" by Michael Punke. I found myself inspired to try and figure out how to get my home state of Idaho to reintroduce small herds of buffalo back on to public lands. I personally would absolutely love to see these animals back on the landscape but was curious on why Fish and Game hasn't reintroduced them yet. I would love to hear some more seasoned opinions on why the buffalo hasn't been reintroduced. Also if you haven't read this book I absolutely recommend it!

They are murder on fences and I've never witnessed a game agency having more political pull than AG so it's a no go despite how cool it would be

Add to the above brucellosis concerns (valid or not) and the amount of land that they need to range, and you will probably never see them on the landscape other than where they currently are.

I would encourage you to also look at the American Prairie Reserve in MT. Lots of bison info and management there.

I think if you dropped them deep into the heart of the frank church they might thrive without the conflict with cattle.

I agree with you that frank church would be the best spot. I would love to see them grow there to the point of hopefully one day having hunting management. How would we start the process of beginning this effort?

I think if you dropped them deep into the heart of the frank church they might thrive without the conflict with cattle.

As much as I would like to see wild buffalo on our public lands, it's not going to happen. What happens when buffalo from the Frank Church are forced to migrate out of the deep snow? They don't respect fences and the cattle industry won't want them anywhere near cattle because of the disease they may spread.

Unfortunately bison in Idaho fall under department of ag control and any that make it here from Yellowstone are pretty much shot on site by someone from Dept. of Ag. I would also love to see them here and think its terrible they aren't treated like the native wildlife they are, but as long as AG interests have as much say as they do with state politics I doubt much will change with them.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back