What Tires Should I Put on my Truck?

I go through a lot of tires and drive more gravel roads than paved roads. For me a good off-road tire is a coin toss between Nitto Ridge Grappler and Cooper ST MAXX, both good tread life and pretty good for low road-noise. The Toyo M-55 is just as good, but I prefer the 'look' of the other two more (shallow, I know). I also really like the BFG AT, it's better in the road noise department, but they throw more gravel (especially when new) and since I drive so much gravel I tend to go with Nitto or Cooper.

Since your so familiar with the AT3s (and had good luck with), look at the new AT3 XLTs. Same great tire with a little extra sidewalk protection.
Troy

I just had the new Cooper AT3 4S installed on my old rover and am quite pleased with them so far, and they sound like what you're looking for. My ¢¢

I'm a vote for Cooper ST Maxx. I put on a pair before I drove from San Diego, CA to NE WY for an antelope hunt. The tires are tough as nails. The sidewalls are reinforced to prevent tears, a healthy amount of tread, and aggressive enough tread for the nasty stuff, but not howling on the highway.

I had these on my '05 F-250 and had close to 30k on them when I sold them and there was still plenty of tread.

Sorry this is sideways...if someone knows how to fix it, please PM me.

IMG_9210.jpg

Last edited:
I've always been a Goodyear Wrangler buyer since the farm I hunted growing up was owned by a family that had a Goodyear shop. Does anyone have experience with the Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure With Kevlar tires?

Another vote for Cooper ST Maxx. I am on a set for about 10,000mi after running a set of Toyo MTs and two sets of BFG KM2s. The Maxx's have less road noise and better grab so far. Performed well in shallow as well as packed snow last season. Can't speak to longevity yet. They do seem less "stiff" and less responsive to steering at speed than my KM2s were, but I run 255/85r16 pizza cutter tires so they have tons of sidewall flex anyways. Could also be that my front struts are about to kick the bucket as well.

I buy lots tires for our company pickups, tried every tire you guys have talked about, we are about 60 percent gravel scoria/40 percent pavement, currently buying the falken wildpeak at3w,

18months on a bunch of trucks, I am a firm believer they bite the best in snow/ice/gravel/mild mud ect,,,, wont be buying any other brand, 235-80-17 on 11 trucks currently, most of us at work have the same tire on personal pickups,

if I wanted a dedicated mud tire id buy something else, but the mud in the breaks really don't care what tire you own,,,,,

I put a set of the goodyear wrangler m/t dual tred pattern on my Toyota because they had a pretty good rebate over the bfg mud t/a s and am impressed by them so far,,but they would be too aggressive for randys situation.

KO2's and KM3's are gonna change the tire game forever. No punctures on trail, great dry traction, mud, incredible in snow. I live at 8000ft with a half mile driveway, my KO2's can't wait for 6+ inches of snow.

I've run Coopers I always liked them. Never been a BFG fan had 2 sets and hated them. I do like the Toyo Open County RT's I'm running at this time a lot they seem to do pretty well all around . I drove out to Montana 2 times from the left coast with them and they did well in all different weather from sun to rain to snow .

Just put 4 new KO2s, new shocks/struts, replaced a ball joint and got alignment; ready to roll! Last set of BF a/t got 60k and performed amazing for where i drive(blm catus, mountain rocks, riverbeds and still great highway tires)

I just put these Cooper ST Maxx's on my Ram 2500. As expected they pulled down the fuel mileage a couple mpg's but there is ALOT more rubber there than my stock OEM's. Both stock and these new Cooper ST Maxx's are the same size (285/60/r20). They don't sing anymore than a BFG KO2's I had on my previous trucks. I've got all of about 20 miles on them so far. I'll be driving 4K miles round trip in Oct. up to MT from south MS. So if this thread is still alive I'll report back.

stmaxxx.jpg

I just put these Cooper ST Maxx's on my Ram 2500. As expected they pulled down the fuel mileage a couple mpg's but there is ALOT more rubber there than my stock OEM's. Both stock and these new Cooper ST Maxx's are the same size (285/60/r20). They don't sing anymore than a BFG KO2's I had on my previous trucks. I've got all of about 20 miles on them so far. I'll be driving 4K miles round trip in Oct. up to MT from south MS. So if this thread is still alive I'll report back.

View attachment 85699

Wise choice. Did you have them siped? mtmuley

Last edited:
My vote would be for Toyo Open Country AT2. I had them on my last truck and tread wear was great, never noticed any road noise and though I never had them in snow I had them on muddy boat ramps fairly often and never had slipping issues the way I did before getting new tires

My vote would be for Toyo Open Country AT2. I had them on my last truck and tread wear was great, never noticed any road noise and though I never had them in snow I had them on muddy boat ramps fairly often and never had slipping issues the way I did before getting new tires

Toyo Open Country tires wear like iron and are the absolute worst tire in deep snow and ice I've ever used. mtmuley

Wise choice. Did you have them siped? mtmuley

Man naw, I’m from south MS where if we get a quarter inch of snow the whole state shuts down! I didn’t even know what siped was until I read this thread and googled it. LoL

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back