PEAX Equipment

What Tires Should I Put on my Truck?

You will like those ST Maxxs. I've thrown everything Montana has to offer at them except the Breaks. That's changing soon. mtmuley

Resurrecting this thread since I'm shopping tires again. Did the newberg team end up liking the AT3? I'm torn between them and the duratrac. The duratrac seems a bit overkill but I'm not exactly an off road enthusiast so might need the help. Would u still like the AT3 if u couldn't use chains for some reason?

Wrangler DuraTracs here. As soon as these wear out, I'm replacing them with the same tires! Never had a better set of tires. I've yet to get stuck in the snow or mud with them. And I don't shy away from a challenge with my pickup lol.

Anytime I’ve had anything besides BF Goodrich on any of my vehicles I’ve been disappointed. From Toyota Camry, to Ram pickups, Chevy Pickups, Jeep. They all get BF Goodrich tires. Usually I’m not brand specific but I just have learned what I like.

I have KO2s right now. Just wanted a more affordable option. Hope I dont regret it too!

Most of the tire banter depends on where you live and what you do with your rig. The East ain't the West when it comes to tires. Listen to the people that use tires where you are or plan to go. mtmuley

Another vote for the BFG's. For me, they've been quiet on the highway and you can get a ton of miles out of them. I will agree that where they lack is in the snow but its only slightly compared to other brands I've run.

Most of the tire banter depends on where you live and what you do with your rig. The East ain't the West when it comes to tires. Listen to the people that use tires where you are or plan to go. mtmuley
Yep. I buy a moderate tire, because I spend 90 percent of my time in pretty good conditions. I get buy just fine for the other 10. I run Hankooks with all-weather type tread and have taken my Tundra through some nasty conditions.

Cooper mastercraft courser CXT's
Cross between ATs and MTs. Only on my first set but have been impressive.

There are better off-road tires and better highway tires, but the BFG KO and KO2 have treated me very well over the years. I’ve tried a few different Goodyear ATs and none have been worth a darn in the mud. The last Goodyear ATs I had were better on the highway, especially when wet, than the BFG’s but they were so bad in even a little bit of mud that they were unbearable. I’m not sure there is a tire out there that is as good in mud as the KO2 and also be as good on pavement. You can certainly beat it at one or the other.

There was a Pireli Scorpion AT that was pretty good, and was excellent on wet pavement. I think they redesigned it though. I couldn’t find them last time I considered something other than the KO2....I keep going back to them.

I had some General Grabber AT2s on my Tacoma. They are very similar to the BFG KO2s. They lasted 60k miles and still had tread. They were relatively quiet. They did decent off road.

I've put some General Grabber X3s on my truck and there are three big differences in the tires.

1. Mud tires just perform better in the mud. Significantly better.
2. Mud tires talk more on the road. Significantly more.
3. Going from a P to E Load Rating eats gas mileage... These new tires are about 63lbs each and the older were 40ish lbs each. That rotating mass gives a hit.

I had a set of BFG K02, I thought they were very good in snow and were very bad on ice. Got great wear on them. Milage dropped 1-2 mpg's with them. Different truck now and tried some continental tires that were all season, they are great on ice and terrible in snow, if you stop in deep snow get out the shovel. Never been stuck so many times in my life. Going to run them all summer and hope they wear out!!!

I’ve driven a lot of different tires. My favorites in no particular order:

BFG KO2 outstanding on snow, decent in mid, not too loud, very good all around tire

Duratracs really good in mid, decent on snow, tend to cup, loud as hell once they do

Cooper AT3 surprisingly good in mid, very good in snow, very quiet, a little light in the sidewall

Cooper ST decent on snow (much better after siping) very good in mud, can tend to cup, wear not the best

A good mud tire will not be as good on snowy roads as an AT tire. An AT tire will not be as good in mud. It’s just about impossible to find a tire that is great at everything. Heavy tires resist punctures and sidewall tears, but decrease fuel economy and wear your front end out faster.

For good all around use, KO2 and AT3 are excellent choices. If you don’t have a heavy pickup I would lean towards the AT3.

I have not used the Falkken Wildpeak AT3W but they get excellent reviews. I’ve also not used the General Grabber AT-X but I'm putting a set on my work pickup soon. They also get excellent reviews.

Heavy MT tires suck on snowy highways, and I figure the highest likelihood of a trip going awry is a bad wreck on a snow covered highway. I can always chain up in the deep stuff, but not if I don’t get there.

Resurrecting this thread since I'm shopping tires again. Did the newberg team end up liking the AT3? I'm torn between them and the duratrac. The duratrac seems a bit overkill but I'm not exactly an off road enthusiast so might need the help. Would u still like the AT3 if u couldn't use chains for some reason?
If you get Duratracs you might consider siping them if you drive a lot is snowy roads.

I put a set of atturo trail blade xt on my truck last spring and they have been great. Handle mud and snow really well but still wear good. Put about 4000 miles on pulling a trailer for a trip and did great on the highway too with little road noise. They are the tire being used by a lot of Baja and trophy truck races right now so if they can handle the punishment dealt by those trucks then should be fine for most.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back