Any Specific Boot Recommendations?

kmbrewcrew

I've been looking through the forum, and have seen a few suggestions, but I was hoping to get a little more specific with a boot recommendation.

I have been using Cabela's Meindl ultralights for about 3 years. However, they started leaking after year one, and I've had wet feet on every hunt. I THINK Cabela's is going to make good on them...I'm taking them back hopefully tomorrow. That being said, I should be able to exchange them for the same boot, which I really liked the weight and the comfort of, or I can get some $$$ back and put them on something else. Reading reviews on their site would indicate that this boot tends to have the problem of leaking where the sole attaches to the leather somewhat frequently (nearly every negative review states this problem).

So, my question is: have any of you all had good luck with the Meindl ultralights from Cabela's? Did I just get one of the rare bad pairs, and will probably be safe exchanging them? Or should I just go with something different? If you think it's best to go with something else, what would you recommend? I'm looking at Danner and possibly Kenetrek (thought I'm really not sure I'm in a position to spend that kind of money right now).

I primarily hunt SW Montana (Bridgers, Gallatin Range), so something that will hold up to treks in the high country and take care of my feet are a necessity...as is waterproof, and warm!

Any recommendations would be much appreciated! Thanks all!

As far as getting the same boots again I can't help you there never owned a cabelas pair. Me personally I've ran a pair of danner proghorns for 4 years now and there still holding up strong I don't care to count how many miles I've put on them, some say danner isn't what it used to be though. When these go out I might look into crispi and kenetrek heard good things about both.

I'm one of those on the other end of the scale. I myself won't spend over $100-120 on a pair of boots. I will get a new pair this year and the last pair I had were Rocky's and they lasted 10 years. With that said though, I don't run around hunting 3-10 miles a days walking. I will say though, they never leaked and were comfortable to me.

I'm one of those on the other end of the scale. I myself won't spend over $100-120 on a pair of boots. I will get a new pair this year and the last pair I had were Rocky's and they lasted 10 years. With that said though, I don't run around hunting 3-10 miles a days walking. I will say though, they never leaked and were comfortable to me.

I had a pair of Rocky’s several years ago and loved them. When I replaced them with a second pair, they were junk. They moved their manufacturing overseas somewhere, and the quality nosedived. This was reflected in their warranty being cut in half. My second pair lasted less than a year before the sole literally fell off...so, be careful and check reviews on those too!

As far as getting the same boots again I can't help you there never owned a cabelas pair. Me personally I've ran a pair of danner proghorns for 4 years now and there still holding up strong I don't care to count how many miles I've put on them, some say danner isn't what it used to be though. When these go out I might look into crispi and kenetrek heard good things about both.

Thanks for the heads up...the Pronghorns were one pair I’ve been looking at, so I’ll have to look into what’s going on with any quality changes with them.

I just took a pair of Meindle perfect lite hikers back last week. The stitching on both boots were coming apart. Take your receipt with you because if you chose a different boot they will possibly not give you full value. In my case I did not have the receipt with me. They credited me 167.00 vs the current price of 239.99. I ordered the Kenetrex hard scrabble and paid the difference. Plus I have the opportunity to get a $75.00 set of gaiters from Kenetrex with a coupon on the Cabalas site. I found my receipt and Cabalas said they would credit me the difference via in store credit.
Talk to a associate first and ask them about their life time warranty and get them to tell you the type of defect your boots have would be covered. Then show them the defect on your boots. Have a pair of shoes to wear home if they don't have what you want and have to order your new ones. They will have you leave the defective boots there before they will order or trade boots.

Good luck,
Dan

I just posted under new gear.
I had worn Cabella's Meindel Ibex boots for years & had a pair replaced due to leaking. They stopped making the Ibex or I would have sent them in again.
That said I had worn Meindel & Lowa boots for many years. Always good boots.
I wore out Danners working & hunting & now quality is not what it was.
Got some Lowa Tibet superwarms 3 yrs ago & love them for cold weather.
Last week I was looking to replace my Danner Cascades that are 20 yrs old with new lighter hiker/hunter wear everyday boots.Tried several that failed just walking.
So I looked at more Lowas to see about a Tibet no insulated. Was looking for Lowa Rangers, when I found Lowa Camino's ,leather gore-tex med. hikers,but not sneakers................
So back to ebay to watch for new boots half price & there they were 2 days later.New Lowa Camino's for $125 delivered.....1/3 price,just like the Tibets. I made out again due to another guy not knowing boot sizes.

I know Lowa makes excellent boots,always have. Lowa's are made in Germany & Italy & the good Meindels are made in Germany...?
Meindel did & I think still do. Look at their boots from factory, besides the ones Cabella's has made for them.
Then find a deal.
I just did on the most comfortable boot I have worn in years,Lowa Camino's....next to the Tibets when it's cold. &they will work excellent for early elk hunting /scouting boots too. The Camino's are made in Italy.

Last edited:
Your return experience may vary with returning old boots to Cabela's but IME they likely won't exchange them because you waited so long. I was told returns are 90 days by the Missoula store and the "lifetime" warranty on their brand of boots is 1 year due to normal wear and tear. They changed policy because people were abusing it.

FWIW I'm on 5 seasons of Meindl Denali. They are still pretty waterproof however years of abuse has ruined some of the stitching and they leak in those specific areas. I'll probably get a second pair soon. Again FWIW I think Danner boots are complete junk and discussed this with 10+ HuntTalkers on the Bear Hunt this week and we seem to agree. Danner doesn't make quality anymore.

Gore-tex isn't what it used to be so don't expect to be able to walk through a wet meadows forever.

Last edited:
I had a pair of Rocky’s several years ago and loved them. When I replaced them with a second pair, they were junk. They moved their manufacturing overseas somewhere, and the quality nosedived. This was reflected in their warranty being cut in half. My second pair lasted less than a year before the sole literally fell off...so, be careful and check reviews on those too!

Damn....and I was thinking of a new pair of them. Thanks for the heads up !

I have had good luck with my Zamberlans. Made in Italy and very high quality. I did lots of backpacking with them last summer and one archery elk hunt.

I wish it was easier to get real Meindls instead of just the Cabelas spec'd/branded ones. The first pair of Island Pro's, similar to the Denali, was the best pair of boots I've owned. I went with the Denali this time around as I burnt some points to get them. If I go with Meindl again, my next pair will come from Hoffman Boots. That said, I'm going to look hard at and discuss my options with Lathrop and Sons. Their footbeds are top notch and their line of boots looks good as well.

I've been very happy with Kenetrek Mountain Extremes and Lowa Tibet.

Ditto, use the same 2 boots. The tibets are the older/previous design. much more solid, and narrower fit than the newer tibets that are much wider. I have a narrow foor. Ready to replace the tibets and wish Lowa had not altered Tibet design and construction...

Your return experience may vary with returning old boots to Cabela's but IME they likely won't exchange them because you waited so long. I was told returns are 90 days by the Missoula store and the "lifetime" warranty on their brand of boots is 1 year due to normal wear and tear. They changed policy because people were abusing it.

FWIW I'm on 5 seasons of Meindl Denali. They are still pretty waterproof however years of abuse has ruined some of the stitching and they leak in those specific areas. I'll probably get a second pair soon. Again FWIW I think Danner boots are complete junk and discussed this with 10+ HuntTalkers on the Bear Hunt this week and we seem to agree. Danner doesn't make quality anymore.

Gore-tex isn't what it used to be so don't expect to be able to walk through a wet meadows forever.

I had this same conversation at the Missoula store 2 1/2 years ago. On a trip I stopped in the Billings store and got a different story and did a return through them. That's why I recommended letting the clerk brag up the warranty first then show them your boots problem. It's hard for them to back track their bragging. Now with the new ownership they may be easier to deal with regarding warranty. The boots I just returned were purchased Dec 2015 but had most of the sole left on them.

Dan

I had this same conversation at the Missoula store 2 1/2 years ago. On a trip I stopped in the Billings store and got a different story and did a return through them. That's why I recommended letting the clerk brag up the warranty first then show them your boots problem. It's hard for them to back track their bragging. Now with the new ownership they may be easier to deal with regarding warranty. The boots I just returned were purchased Dec 2015 but had most of the sole left on them.

Dan

Maybe that store manager is more liberal with their interpretation...good to know.

Back to the boot recommendation...don't be afraid to look into mountain boots made by Scarpa, La Sportiva, Zamberlan, etc. Those companies have users around the world doing basically the same thing we are just without a bow or rifle. Often they are cheaper than "hunting" boots but better in quality. Some places have huge discounts too. Last night after inspecting my Meindl Denalis I chose to order Zamberlan Guide boots.

I bought a pair of uninsulated White's Outdoorsman boots last fall and used them antelope, deer, and elk hunting. Hunted all season even in the snow and my feet stayed warm and dry. I will admit that my feet are usually warm as to why I went with the uninsulated ones. White's builds a fantastic boot and their Claw lug sole has the best traction of any sole I have found. There are several folks who have a similar sole but this is the best still!

https://www.whitesboots.com/#/product/2382

Just a tip...If you are looking for “real” Meindl’s, don’t overlook Amazon. There are a couple of German vendors that sell them on there. I’ve ordered them that way and had no issues. Better quality boots than the Cabela’s version IMO.

I'll probably get poop-emojied for this but I've used Keens for several years now. They are the only ones I've found that fit my broad, ill-sized feet. They run wide and are comfortable. Just want to use a good pair of gaiters in snow. I have some Danners but they're very heavy and feel like a pair of boards strapped to the bottoms of my feet. I only use them for shoveling snow these days. Sometimes on a snowy hunt only if I don't expect to walk any more than about a quarter mile.

Just a tip...If you are looking for “real” Meindl’s, don’t overlook Amazon. There are a couple of German vendors that sell them on there. I’ve ordered them that way and had no issues. Better quality boots than the Cabela’s version IMO.
Thanks for that tip! As much as time and money as I spend through there, I'm surprised I hadn't thought to look there for those.

Thanks everyone for the input. I ended up going into the Billings store, and they were very helpful in swapping them out. They didn't have any of the Denalis in stock, other than the 200 gram version. I was afraid that wouldn't be enough to keep my feet warm. So, I was able to swap out for a little better version (supposedly) of the ultralight.

Just a word on the customer service at the Billings Cabela's: it has been fantastic in my experience. I have returned several things there, and they have taken them without much question. However, they did tell me this time that it is becoming more important to keep the receipts, as the merger with Bass Pro is forcing some changes (that probably won't be for the better).

Back