Montana leftover Elk Combos sold out

nontyp

I see the elk combos sold out quickly. Surprising since the Montana website kept crashing when i bought mine.

How many were left ? I never did look. I think if a guy put in for the elk or big game combo through the alternates list you could probably still get a tag. Alternates list for deer combo will be tough .

I heard there were 800 left...sold out the first day, although I hear there were plenty of problems with the website and duplicate charges on peoples accounts.

Un fricking real the amount of f ups this department has its truly amazing

The # of people coming out to MT to hunt must be increasing drastically. It looked like anyone who wanted a tag could get one just 4 or 5 years ago (watching Randy's show from back then)...My dad was hoping to get out here to hunt with us this year, but didn't draw the Elk/deer combo he was hoping for. He was able to get one of the left over tags, but they did go quickly on the first day! He is looking forward to getting out here this fall.

Yeh randy doing shows promoting eastern Montana and the leftover tags didn't do anyone any favors . And I am not bashing him he does a great job with most things he does . Just dunno if videos advocating for NR to come to eastern MT was a great idea

promoting eastern MT hunting has nothing to do with general area elk tags...i'll take that statement back if a butt load of tags get turned back in by those you didn't draw 700 permits...but doubtful
economy is doing well, WY increased their prices this year, and there was more upfront demand this year due to how quickly the tags went last year.

Before the nonresident tag price increase, all of the Elk and Deer tags sold out at the first drawing. Sometimes it took two years to draw a general tag. That was way before Randy started filming in Eastern MT. People are beginning to feel like the NR tag price is justifiable and are applying and buying surplus accordingly.

promoting eastern MT hunting has nothing to do with general area elk tags...i'll take that statement back if a butt load of tags get turned back in by those you didn't draw 700 permits...but doubtful
economy is doing well, WY increased their prices this year, and there was more upfront demand this year due to how quickly the tags went last year.

I just mean tags in general , deer combos , big game combos . There's been lots of promoting is all I'm saying . And the fact that other states have raised prices may be a factor

Before the nonresident tag price increase, all of the Elk and Deer tags sold out at the first drawing. Sometimes it took two years to draw a general tag. That was way before Randy started filming in Eastern MT. People are beginning to feel like the NR tag price is justifiable and are applying and buying surplus accordingly.

I agree . When I started coming to Montana we hunted deer only and applied for the landowner sponsored deer tags , even that was about every other year draw .

It looks like I'm going to be in Montana as a nonresident this fall, but a resident in the years to come!

That being said- I've been busy trying to set things up, and completely missed the leftover purchase (drawing?) period. I'm used to hunting MO and its OTC tags, so the draw schemes have had a steep learning curve.

I've never chased elk or mule deer, but hope to this fall (perfectly fine with a cow or doe tag). Am I SOL for chasing big game this fall, or will there be time for me to grab a tag later in the year and try my hand at filling the freezer?

One thread the discussion is about MT out pricing NR's, then another thread (here) talks about insta-sold out NR tags...

Not vouching one way or the other. I do support Rez increase... 'Nother subject.

yep. Got charged 4 times. $3600 is a lot for a general tag!

Y-eeeouch!

One thread the discussion is about MT out pricing NR's, then another thread (here) talks about insta-sold out NR tags...

Not vouching one way or the other. I do support Rez increase... 'Nother subject.

Y-eeeouch!

There is relative value now for MT combos, especially this soon after WY bumped up elk tag prices. That MT value is simply not a bargain for NR Joe SixPack. Could raise NR MT Bighorn tags by 10x and would sell out, too. Who applies for Bighorn would change and fewer would apply even in a strong economy which we are experiencing now but 2008 was not so long ago which revealed elk/deer/pronghorn applications for tags will trail off during extended economic pullbacks.

Is a mere guess on my part but will go ahead and toss out my hunch that the income distribution of MT combo buyers is more top-heavy now than before the steep increase in price a few years ago. I suppose a person's economic position in life and choices on how each of us spend discretionary money will influence whether someone thinks raising the most money from a set of limited NR tags is a noble goal to provide more funds from non-voters for a state's budget or if on the other hand there is an increased risk of shrinking the pool of NR hunters. NR hunters that likely support hot-button Western issues such as public lands and access. If I live in the Midwest or East then hunting out West helps me grasp and form an opinion re public lands and access issues. If I decide applying out West as a NR is a Rich Man's game then maybe I remain ignorant about the nuances of issues or I focus on local issues to me. Human nature is what it is. No NR has a right to be able to afford tags in another state. There are benefits for having a large pool of NR aspiring to get one of those NR tags.

It looks like I'm going to be in Montana as a nonresident this fall, but a resident in the years to come!

That being said- I've been busy trying to set things up, and completely missed the leftover purchase (drawing?) period. I'm used to hunting MO and its OTC tags, so the draw schemes have had a steep learning curve.

I've never chased elk or mule deer, but hope to this fall (perfectly fine with a cow or doe tag). Am I SOL for chasing big game this fall, or will there be time for me to grab a tag later in the year and try my hand at filling the freezer?

Where are u going to be at ? Which region ? Possible that u could get cow and doe tags . Whitetail doe tags are otc in a lot of areas

Is a mere guess on my part but will go ahead and toss out my hunch that the income distribution of MT combo buyers is more top-heavy now than before the steep increase in price a few years ago. I suppose a person's economic position in life and choices on how each of us spend discretionary money will influence whether someone thinks raising the most money from a set of limited NR tags is a noble goal to provide more funds from non-voters for a state's budget or if on the other hand there is an increased risk of shrinking the pool of NR hunters. NR hunters that likely support hot-button Western issues such as public lands and access. If I live in the Midwest or East then hunting out West helps me grasp and form an opinion re public lands and access issues. If I decide applying out West as a NR is a Rich Man's game then maybe I remain ignorant about the nuances of issues or I focus on local issues to me. Human nature is what it is. No NR has a right to be able to afford tags in another state. There are benefits for having a large pool of NR aspiring to get one of those NR tags.

I agree 100% and I do not think it is a mere guess. That line of thinking is based on sound economics.

Yeh randy doing shows promoting eastern Montana and the leftover tags didn't do anyone any favors . And I am not bashing him he does a great job with most things he does . Just dunno if videos advocating for NR to come to eastern MT was a great idea

You're joking, right? What percentage of Montana's FWP's budget is non resident money?

A few years back 2/3 of revenue from licence sales came form non residents. I doubt that number has changed much.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back