Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

WTB Mossberg 500 Bantam 12/20ga new/used

teej89

Hey guys! getting the gf her first shotgun, she shouldered a bunch at the shop and really liked how the mossberg felt her initial response was “wow that feels good” so I’m going to assume I’ll go with that one

Anywho, just curious if anyone has one laying around they’re looking to sell? Preferably new and 12ga but I could be persuaded into a used or a 20ga

Thanks!
T.J.

That was my suggestion :cool: I got my wife's off of Bud's online. The shipping is quick and free to your local FFL. I got my wife's in 20ga.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...s_id/46897/Mossberg+54132+500+BANTAM+20+22+AC

never would have thought about the bantam version without your reply, thanks!

I am leaning towards the 12ga cuz she can handle the recoil and it's just gonna send more BBs down range, gonna need em with my flushing lab that hunts at lightning speed lol!

I'm not sure if there's a 12ga bantam. There's like 30 pages of mossberg shotguns on Bud's, so who knows lol

did you get the wood stock or synthetic?

I was going to do wood but it's 7.25# and she said my SX3 at 7# was a little heavy in the field while hunting pheasants.

They make a 20ga 5.25# synthetic.... I'm just nervous about a 20ga for pheasants/turkeys/ducks/clays...

I got the wood. A 20ga is just fine for anything with wings. I have a buddy that outfits for ducks and geese and all he uses is a 20ga. Hell, I've seen on TV where they hunt doves and grouse with 28ga. You'll get plenty enough pellets with a 3" 20ga to do what you need.

While I haven't bagged a turkey with it yet, lots of dedicated turkey chasers are going to a 20ga for turkeys. Some of the new heavier than lead shot is getting a 20ga to out perform 12ga lead loads. In regards to pheasants, I've used nothing but my 20ga the past two years for pheasants in IA and ND as I shoot it better. It's worked just fine on those birds.

A 5.25# shotgun's going to have a bit of recoil. In getting my son set up, it's tough to balance the equation for weight for carry and recoil.

While I haven't bagged a turkey with it yet, lots of dedicated turkey chasers are going to a 20ga for turkeys. Some of the new heavier than lead shot is getting a 20ga to out perform 12ga lead loads. In regards to pheasants, I've used nothing but my 20ga the past two years for pheasants in IA and ND as I shoot it better. It's worked just fine on those birds.

A 5.25# shotgun's going to have a bit of recoil. In getting my son set up, it's tough to balance the equation for weight for carry and recoil.

Awesome thanks for the input! I'm just all about sold on the 20ga now, the more I entertain the idea and dig into it I'm leaning towards a 20ga. And now with her entertaining the idea of a semi, a lightweight 20 doesn't seem so bad cuz it'll have reduced recoil.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back