Caribou Gear Tarp

My first Merriam

Elkhunter24

After months of planning a vacation out west to visit friends the time finally came. The plan was to visit with our friends in Wyoming for a few days then head to Grand Teton National Park and then Yellowstone. We landed in Cody on 4-28-18. Our friends picked us up at the airport and we then went to Proud Cut Saloon n' Steak House. The plan was to head back to their house and unpack and relax then hunt turkeys the next two days. First morning was a great morning heard a few birds just couldn't get close enough. Second morning we woke up to it snowing out. My first thought was well my chance at a Merriam is gone. Being an avid turkey hunter in the east I wanted to kill a Merriam in the worst way to start my way on the slam. As we got up to our spot the snow let up and we heard a turkey up the one drainage. We were able to sneak up close enough and I was able to make a shot and was lucky enough to harvest the bird. It was a beautiful bird, had a 9.5 inch beard and a little over an inch spurs. The rest of the trip was a blast with my wife and the sites we saw. Defiantly one of the best trips we ever had. Cant wait to be back in the Rookies this fall!

Attachments

• turkey 2.jpg
    turkey 2.jpg
    133.3 KB · Views: 237
  • turkey.jpg
    turkey.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 240
Rifles are legal for turkey in Wyoming and surprisingly lots of folks use them.
Nice bird, you were in the Rockies not the Rookies, lol.
I'm sure hoping that was our last snow of the winter, early spring.
He's a beauty !!

He's a beauty !!

haha i was thinking the "rookies" too

Congrats on the bird, that's awesome! I always wanted to hunt em out west, someday, when I live out there :D

He's a beauty !!

thank you and sorry for the spelling error haha didn't catch it!

haha i was thinking the "rookies" too

Congrats on the bird, that's awesome! I always wanted to hunt em out west, someday, when I live out there :D

You would think being a senior member he wouldn't have made such a Rookies mistake. Nice bird definitely on my bucket list.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back