MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Public Land Change, Help Big Fin

MW357

Arkansas has a Congress member wanting to change some National Forest Land over to the National Wilderness Preservation System. I'm currently researching the National Wilderness Preservation land use rules as this is new to me and not to common here in Arkansas. Do you have any knowledge on this type of change and how it may affect the use of these lands? The land as National Forest is open to hunting and all kinds of recreation. I'm all for keeping some wilderness land but not if it cant be used by outdoors people at all.

I am not aware of this particular parcel, but hunting and fishing is allowed in Wilderness Areas. The land remains national forest, managed by the US Forest Service per its multiple use mandate. In Wilderness areas, those multiple uses are compatible with the Wilderness Act. So things like dirt bikes, mountain bikes, industrial uses like logging and mining, etc. are not allowed. Hunting and fishing is compatible with the Wilderness Act, within those bounds, as is hiking, horseback riding, canoeing, etc. I hope that makes sense. I'm speaking in generalities here, so by all means ground truth it!

Yes that is the 640 acres. Thanks for help on explaining. I did some research also and yes the Wilderness Area designation should help keep out motorized travel which I think is OK for some areas like this. I'm learning more and trying to stay in tune with whats going on with our public lands more. Again thanks for help explaining.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back