2018 Broken Horn Oryx Rhoades Canyon Any Advice

HoneyDo

Open to any and all advice re Rhoades Canyon Broken Horn Hunt Nov 9-11, 2018.
Hunted a bunch but never on missile range property. Searched far and wide on internet and have read the limited info available
Would appreciate any information.

As you know Rhodes and Stallion are both homes to the once in a life time hunts. I've personally hunted Stallion, not Rhodes, but the hunts are OIL for a reason... lots of animals!

You lucked out because your tag is not OIL, but obviously you're restricted on what you can shoot. I'd find the fattest oryx that you can and take it.

The event planner for the range should be contacting you for your hunt via email. They generally send out a bunch of information. If you don't get anything soon shoot me a PM, I can forward you some of my emails. Gilbert Villegas is the guy who runs the Stallion hunt and he is a wealth of knowledge. One email goes over shot placement and I think that's important to read up on before you head out on your hunt.

Good luck and have fun!

Don't know the area, but have hunted those critters. Read up a lot on shot placement. The vitals sit a lot farther forward than you are used to on North American game. A perfect shot is pretty much right through the shoulder. Takes a lot of getting used to, especially with the excitement of the moment. Amazing meat.

I hunted Rhodes back in Jan 2017. In the ten hours my family and I spent on the range we saw well over 150 Oryx. There were many broken horns around. In my hunt between the OIL hunts and broken Horn we had 100% success rate. One thing I was told to do to help look over some vegetation, was to strap a 10-12 foot ladder in the back of the truck get on top and glass all the way around. Plenty of roads around, So to me it's best to road hunt to find them then stalk. Good Luck

Received email from today 5/14/2018, from Wildlife Biologist/ WSMR Hunt Administrator . Briefing. and related checks to take place beginning at 10 am on Friday first day of hunt from Tularosa Gate on WSMR.

I've hunted Rhodes Canyon twice.

It's a bit of a goat rope at the start of the hunt as everyone leaves at the same time but be patient and people will gradually spread out all over the place.

Here's a tip: when you to the briefing, don't be in a big hurry to get there. If you are one of the last ones to park at the briefing you will be one of the first ones to leave when they discharge you and the hunt starts.

It's a big area and plenty of room for everyone but it's a bit disconcerting at the start as it's basically a shotgun start.

Broken Horn success at Rhodes Canyon 11/10/2018 thanks to three friends who went to help spot, stalk, quarter and carry out about a mile, IMG_1420.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back