Elk System Early Octoberwyoming

Yatedog66

We have an elk trip planned for the last few days in September through the first week in October in Wyoming just southeast of the Yellowstone border. In general, we will be on horseback and camp has “everything you need and nothing you don’t.”

I am thinking about running mostly a first lite system because I believe it will also work well back in Mississippi. I am thinking about the new Catalyst system, Kiln pullover, lighter and heavier merino layer, Drake fleece vest, 5 pairs of quality socks, hiking boots, pack boots, and reasonable rain gear. I think this will have me in good shape, am I missing anything?

That time of year, will I need bomb-proof gloves, or will regular gloves and mittens be sufficient?

I run slightly cold natured, can I get away without a puffy pant, or is that something I need to add?

Also, any non-camo duffle bag recommendations?

First elk trip and I am excited.
Thanks for any responses.

Welcome and if your going into thorofare you must have a guide with horses so weight shouldnt be real issue. As your guide will tell you it can be zero or 70, sunny or snowing and then theres the wind... better to have than not; plan for worse hope for best! Welcome to board

Last edited:
Thanks folks, I’ve been lurking a little while. Long time whitetail hunter in the southeast.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back