Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Prepping for Colorado

MVRK28

Getting ready for Colorado Mule Deer 3rd rifle season in unit 64/65. Draw odds have me feeling fairly confident we will be getting a tag.

My plan, like many others, is to get away from the roads and set up our camp in our primary glassing location. We will have about 9-10 days including scout time so we may move if our first location doesn't work out as planned. I would really appreciate if some of you experienced backpack hunters could let me know if I am on the right track.

Here's what I've got planned(most of this I've already purchased):

Clothing: I have already picked up pretty much all of my gear, I went with Kuiu for all of my clothing and bino harness. I'm wearing their Attack Pants and Guide Jacket, 145 Merino Wool top and bottom and also packing Peloton 200 bottoms and hoodie for mid layer. I'm bringing gaiters just in case, they're pretty light weight so I figured better to have than and not need them than the reverse.

Rain Gear: Undecided - could get cheaper Cabelas branded or some of the Kuiu stuff on clearance, probably Cabelas to save $$.

Boots: Game time decision based on weather, if there's snow on the ground then a Danner Vital 400g, however if the weather permits I will be running a Salomon Quest 4D 2 GTX.

Pack: Alps Commander external frame & Bag (Not as light as I would like but for the price I couldn't pass it up. However if it fails on a trip to X-8 in California I will most likely replace with a Kuiu Icon Pro prior to going to Colorado)

Sleep System: Alps Zephyr 2 Tent, Alps Quest Down Bag (20 Degree), Thermarest Prolite Plus and Cocoon pillow.

Cook System: Jetboil Flash (bringing 2 ea of the 100 size fuel cans, coffee press & pot support), MSR Quick Skillet and Sea to Summit Alpha Light Spork.

Food: coffee and protein shake to start the day, adding MCT oil to protein shake to boost fat, will bring an assortment of Keto Bars, F Bomb Macadamia Nut Butters, Macadamia Nuts and then Mountain House for dinner. I am shooting for 2500-3000 calories per day.

Water: Platypus Hoser 3l with inline Sawyer Mini Filter and 2 additional 2l Platy bags. I plan to bring the 16oz bag that came with the Sawyer filter and cut open the sealed bottom using it as a funnel to fill the larger bags.

Weapon: Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed (6.5 Creed) w/ Nightforce SHV 4-14x50F1. Using Nightforce Ultra Light rings as well. Shooting 130 gr Nosler Accubond handloads, getting close to 2800 fps and sub MOA accuracy with these. I will probably also carry my sidearm, a Sig Sauer SP2022 chambered in 40 S&W.

Optics: Vortex Diamondback 10x42 binos and Vortex Diamondback 20-60x60 angled spotter on Vortex Summit Tripod with phone scope. Also bringing my Vortex Ranger 1500 rangefinder.

Kill Kit: BenchMade Saddle Mountain Skinner, Outdoor Edge Razor Pro, Latex Gloves, 550 Paracord, Pen, Caribou Gear Muley Meat on Bone bags. I'd like to find a thin, light sheet of plastic to use while processing to try to keep meat off the ground. Haven't found one yet though.

Misc: Bag for trash that can be hung in a tree, same with food. I know it's not necessarily grizzly country where we are going but I'm sure there are a few bears in the area so better safe than sorry I guess. 16000 mah battery to recharge phones. Petzl Tikka 200 headlamp, first aid kit, a good book (haha), TREKKING POLES. And of course the essentials, TP, tooth brush and tooth paste, deodorant, GOLD BOND, Tylenol PM.

I've got my pack weight around 50 lbs and my worn weight about 8 lbs (counting that I'm wearing the binos and rangefinder, the 8 lbs also accounts for boots).

Looks like you got your gear covered. Only advice I would give you is if you need to pack in, do it. But there's a good chance that in 3rd rifle, in CO, for mule deer, they may have migrated out of that 'roadless' country. Like I said, be adaptive, if you need to pack in, do it, but make a plan to move quick if your not seeing alot of does. One of my best bucks came from a half mile walk around a private field to get into position on BLM as they were leaving. I have used that same tactic in unit 62, just across the road from you, successfully as well. If you got 9 days to scout, you'll find em. If not, move.

I see you have a spotting scope. Use it, alot, and cover a ton of country.

Good luck and have fun.

Last edited:
Looks like you got your gear covered. Only advice I would give you is if you need to pack in, do it. But there's a good chance that in 3rd rifle, in CO, for mule deer, they may have migrated out of that 'roadless' country. Like I said, be adaptive, if you need to pack in, do it, but make a plan to move quick if your not seeing alot of does. One of my best bucks came from a half mile walk around a private field to get into position on BLM as they were leaving. I have used that same tactic in unit 62, just across the road from you, successfully as well. If you got 9 days to scout, you'll find em. If not, move.

I see you have a spotting scope. Use it, alot, and cover a ton of country.

Good luck and have fun.

Thank you SO much for the insight.

I guess I've envisioned this back country spike camp style hunt in my mind the whole time. But maybe a hotel wouldn't be so bad. haha

Sounds like you're on the right track for sure. Glass, glass, glass. By 3rd rifle they may be down lower in the sage, so don't overlook those areas. Also as far as your clothing goes, I would bring a puffy without question. I never really go anywhere anytime of the year without a puffy tho so maybe just me. I'd get cold in a 20 degree bag that time of year, but I get cold pretty easily. That time of year, I would be careful with your water system. It'll most likely be freezing at night and potentially well below freezing. Your tube can freeze pretty easily so a neoprene insulator may be a good investment. The filters can also crack if there is water left in them and then they are essentially useless. Not a bad idea to put your filter in your sleeping bag for the night along with a bottle of hot water! I'd also drop the sidearm, but that's my preference. Sounds like you're getting prepped for a great hunt!

Sounds like you're on the right track for sure. Glass, glass, glass. By 3rd rifle they may be down lower in the sage, so don't overlook those areas. Also as far as your clothing goes, I would bring a puffy without question. I never really go anywhere anytime of the year without a puffy tho so maybe just me. I'd get cold in a 20 degree bag that time of year, but I get cold pretty easily. That time of year, I would be careful with your water system. It'll most likely be freezing at night and potentially well below freezing. Your tube can freeze pretty easily so a neoprene insulator may be a good investment. The filters can also crack if there is water left in them and then they are essentially useless. Not a bad idea to put your filter in your sleeping bag for the night along with a bottle of hot water! I'd also drop the sidearm, but that's my preference. Sounds like you're getting prepped for a great hunt!

Those are all really good tips! Thank you!

I am back and forth on the sidearm, it's realistically just extra weight that I'm not going to use. Probably best to leave it home.

I've been thinking about getting a puffy! Looking at the Kuiu Super Down Ultra, just a bit on the pricey side. Although, when I'm out there if I don't have it I may wish I did.

aa7975cc-fa7a-4531-9de9-27e514e7e236_1.13f0647d3cd6de0b0c6eb9e5d872a0d5.jpeg

I think I found the perfect solution for plastic(I'm sure other more experienced guys have used this already). Should be just a hair under 5.8 oz for one sheet.

Good job getting things planned out this far in advance.
Are you planning on working with a packer or plan in packing out your buck on your back?
If you plan on packing out yourself personally I'd lose the
Skillet, handgun, second knife, danner boots, extra 2 platypus bags, switch 16 oz squeeze bag for 32, and book.
Plan for being successful and what that will entail.

Good job getting things planned out this far in advance.
Are you planning on working with a packer or plan in packing out your buck on your back?
If you plan on packing out yourself personally I'd lose the
Skillet, handgun, second knife, danner boots, extra 2 platypus bags, switch 16 oz squeeze bag for 32, and book.
Plan for being successful and what that will entail.

Sorry I should have been more specific, I am only taking one pair of boots and will leave whatever pair that doesn’t work with the weather in the truck. The handgun is staying home after more thought. I figure if I want to read a book I can download it on my phone since we will have extra power so the book is out. Thanks for the tip on the 32 oz bag. I guess I really won’t need extra bags as long as I have the ability to refill my 3l.

The knives I mispoke on. The Benchmade is not in the “kill kit.” It’s on my belt and will be used for anything and everything a razor is too fragile to do. I actually decided against the outdoor edge razor pro and went with the havalon piranta “edge.” The razor pro seemed very bulky and the havalon was much more sleek and seemed lighter. I do intend to bring both of these.

The skillet only weighs 5oz so I was thinking it would be nice to have for backstrap.

Thank you very much for the input, I really do appreciate it. I’m constantly critiquing my gear list, I will (hopefully)be hunting X-8 in California and it will serve as a trial run for this kit, except not nearly as much food in the pack.

Last edited:
IMO a 20 degree bag for 3rd season Colorado is not warm enough. I've had my water bottle freeze solid ....inside my pack, which was inside my tent.
It can get pretty darn Cold in the Rockies at 9000ft that time of year. It really sucks trying to sleep while shivering lol. I use a -5 , and my buddy uses a -20.

I would also add some type of warm stocking cap , or insulated hat w/ear flaps.

Did you get your grocery list from Joe Rogan?

Just kidding, although I would definitely consider bringing more substantial food if you are back packing... cheese, candy bars, etc. late season backpacking is one of those times where you will wish you had the extra calories.

I have been hunting 52/53 for the last 5 years so here is my 2 cents. Weather is super variable, I have been in a tee shirt sweating during 3rd season and freezing my butt off in 1st season. Don't be surprised if it's in the mid 60s during the day and 5 degrees at night. I have a 20 degree bag and was camped at 10k feet during 1st season last year, I was a little cold cold with all my clothes on in my bag, I got a bag liner for this season, you can definitely make it in a 20 degree bag but you aren't going to be sleeping in your base layers. Hunting from archery season - 4 season I have never been rained on, but I have been snowed on numerous times... if you aren't going to have rain gear just figure out what you are going to do if it starts dumping really wet snow, if you are hiking around without a pack cover and rain gear you are going to have a bad day, (you can either head into town for the day or hang out in the tent but just don't let all your gear get super wet. That said it hasn't snowed on us last 3 years during October and last year it really didn't snow in that country till super late (February).

Definitely bring both pairs of boots, the Salomon's aren't waterproof (yeah I know they say they are waterproof and goretex but anything that isn't full leather/synthetic with a one piece tongue is water resistant at best, your feet are going to be drenched walking through wet grass let alone snow) and will be miserable if it snows, if its dry they will be totally fine.

Last season was really warm, the elk never came down to private and were up high well into Jan-Feb. There are always tons of deer on private but those are typically deer that live on the private year round and bucks that venture down looking for does. There was a guy on here who had a 4th season tag and I think he got skunked because he couldn't find any deer on public, if you really want a buck a trespass fee is something to consider you are likely going to see a bunch of 150-160 bucks walking around on private. I'm sure there are some monster bucks running around in hard to get places and up high, I saw deer up at 10,500 in there summer spots during first rifle and I bet they didn't move down till December. Definitely don't overlook the horrible looking places, I have yet to see an elk or deer in the perfect little meadows with aspens during rifle season. I would spend a good portion of my time glassing the oak brush, if it looks like the thorn patch from the lion king than you are looking in the right spot.

All of the above is true, I live on the 65 side of hwy 550. Don't be surprised if you're wearing a tshirt during the day and your heaviest jacket in the mornings. Unless it's a crazy year, most of the deer will be in the oakbrush and pinion/junipers. If you have any questions about particular areas or if you need anything while you're here, let me know.
Cody

Take an extra headlamp. Trust me. I always have a spare in my daypack and in 2015 it came in handy when I found out that I accidentally left my primary headlamp in the middle of a meadow while setting up on bull 7.5 miles from the truck. While packing meat out and heading back up to camp for the night, that spare came in handy.

As WLLM1313 take some comfort food with you. I have replaced all the Cliff Bars, energy bars, etc.. with Snickers. They give more calories/ounce of weight and when you are glassing all day without any luck, a food that you really really like will help keep your spirits up. Swedish Fish are also a favorite I bring.

I don't ever pack a skillet. A good old flat rock taken from a crystal clear mountain stream cooks any tenderloin perfectly. Get it nice and hot over a bed of coals, sprinkle a little of your favorite rub ( don't forget to bring a 35mm canister with some) and you will enjoy a restaurant worthy meal.

As mentioned with your water be careful. I hunted 3rd season back in the late 90's early 00's for 5 years and we had milk freeze while inside a dry cooler!! You haven't eaten cereal until you have it with milk slush...

I have successfully boned out elk and mulies with only a Havalon. Gutless method on each. We left all are extra knives and handguns at home last fall and we were hunting with muzzleloaders.

Now I will probably get flamed for this, but I use the Champion Puffy. It is lightweight, water resistant, and packs up to the size of the pocket on the chest. I wrap my extra socks around it and use it as my pillow at night.

https://www.overstock.com/Clothing-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM3kjcXn89oCFY424AodtpkMNA

Did you get your grocery list from Joe Rogan?

Just kidding, although I would definitely consider bringing more substantial food if you are back packing... cheese, candy bars, etc. late season backpacking is one of those times where you will wish you had the extra calories.

I have been hunting 52/53 for the last 5 years so here is my 2 cents. Weather is super variable, I have been in a tee shirt sweating during 3rd season and freezing my butt off in 1st season. Don't be surprised if it's in the mid 60s during the day and 5 degrees at night. I have a 20 degree bag and was camped at 10k feet during 1st season last year, I was a little cold cold with all my clothes on in my bag, I got a bag liner for this season, you can definitely make it in a 20 degree bag but you aren't going to be sleeping in your base layers. Hunting from archery season - 4 season I have never been rained on, but I have been snowed on numerous times... if you aren't going to have rain gear just figure out what you are going to do if it starts dumping really wet snow, if you are hiking around without a pack cover and rain gear you are going to have a bad day, (you can either head into town for the day or hang out in the tent but just don't let all your gear get super wet. That said it hasn't snowed on us last 3 years during October and last year it really didn't snow in that country till super late (February).

Definitely bring both pairs of boots, the Salomon's aren't waterproof (yeah I know they say they are waterproof and goretex but anything that isn't full leather/synthetic with a one piece tongue is water resistant at best, your feet are going to be drenched walking through wet grass let alone snow) and will be miserable if it snows, if its dry they will be totally fine.

Last season was really warm, the elk never came down to private and were up high well into Jan-Feb. There are always tons of deer on private but those are typically deer that live on the private year round and bucks that venture down looking for does. There was a guy on here who had a 4th season tag and I think he got skunked because he couldn't find any deer on public, if you really want a buck a trespass fee is something to consider you are likely going to see a bunch of 150-160 bucks walking around on private. I'm sure there are some monster bucks running around in hard to get places and up high, I saw deer up at 10,500 in there summer spots during first rifle and I bet they didn't move down till December. Definitely don't overlook the horrible looking places, I have yet to see an elk or deer in the perfect little meadows with aspens during rifle season. I would spend a good portion of my time glassing the oak brush, if it looks like the thorn patch from the lion king than you are looking in the right spot.

First off, LMAO at the Joe Rogan comment. I have been trying to stick to a Keto diet for the past few weeks and I've had good results so far which lead me to the food list I had. I definitely like the idea of some decent snacks though.

I REALLY appreciate all of the insight you gave me, we've never hunted out of California and are trying to branch out and do a little more.

Load up your stuff and go on a few backpack trips this summer. Gear that works vs. gear that doesn't has a way of sorting itself out real quick.

All of the above is true, I live on the 65 side of hwy 550. Don't be surprised if you're wearing a tshirt during the day and your heaviest jacket in the mornings. Unless it's a crazy year, most of the deer will be in the oakbrush and pinion/junipers. If you have any questions about particular areas or if you need anything while you're here, let me know.
Cody

Awesome man thank you so much. Looking forward to getting out there.

Take an extra headlamp. Trust me. I always have a spare in my daypack and in 2015 it came in handy when I found out that I accidentally left my primary headlamp in the middle of a meadow while setting up on bull 7.5 miles from the truck. While packing meat out and heading back up to camp for the night, that spare came in handy.

As WLLM1313 take some comfort food with you. I have replaced all the Cliff Bars, energy bars, etc.. with Snickers. They give more calories/ounce of weight and when you are glassing all day without any luck, a food that you really really like will help keep your spirits up. Swedish Fish are also a favorite I bring.

I don't ever pack a skillet. A good old flat rock taken from a crystal clear mountain stream cooks any tenderloin perfectly. Get it nice and hot over a bed of coals, sprinkle a little of your favorite rub ( don't forget to bring a 35mm canister with some) and you will enjoy a restaurant worthy meal.

As mentioned with your water be careful. I hunted 3rd season back in the late 90's early 00's for 5 years and we had milk freeze while inside a dry cooler!! You haven't eaten cereal until you have it with milk slush...

I have successfully boned out elk and mulies with only a Havalon. Gutless method on each. We left all are extra knives and handguns at home last fall and we were hunting with muzzleloaders.

Now I will probably get flamed for this, but I use the Champion Puffy. It is lightweight, water resistant, and packs up to the size of the pocket on the chest. I wrap my extra socks around it and use it as my pillow at night.

https://www.overstock.com/Clothing-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CM3kjcXn89oCFY424AodtpkMNA

Thanks for the pointers! Starting to regret buying the skillet! haha

I'm digging the champion puffy!

Load up your stuff and go on a few backpack trips this summer. Gear that works vs. gear that doesn't has a way of sorting itself out real quick.

We have a trip coming up near Tahoe for this exact reason. If we draw we will take a few more to the area to scout/hunt and I figured I'd probably know what does/doesn't work by November.

Don't discount the skillet. If you're packing back to the truck, a coleman stove, skillet, S&P, and Backstrap might be the perfect boost before the second trip.

Don't discount the skillet. If you're packing back to the truck, a coleman stove, skillet, S&P, and Backstrap might be the perfect boost before the second trip.

Totally agree, I always through a bunch of stuff in the car that I won't use back packing but that would be nice to have if I end up road camping... bigger tent, camp chairs, couple gallons of water, extra food. Gives you the ability to be flexible, also if you get soaked from snow you can come back to the car, set up a big car camping tent, dry off, and head back in that afternoon.

I see you are big fan of KUIU. Check out the youtube videos Hairston did on what he packs for his food list. Helped me trim down some weight and have more energy, better sleep, etc.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back