PEAX Equipment

Prepping for Colorado

Yeah you really need to watch the weight and make sure your getting the most calories possible... when you are riding a helicopter up the mountain.

(I did watch the videos... it's actually really good... but his 'brand' is sooo annoying and absolutely ridiculous)

2018-05-08_9-28-07.jpg

Yeah you really need to watch the weight and make sure your getting the most calories possible... when you are riding a helicopter up the mountain.

(I did watch the videos... it's actually really good... but his 'brand' is sooo annoying and absolutely ridiculous)

View attachment 82630

He's a little much for me but he definitely knows his stuff. Kinda like Lebron James, crazy talented but annoying as all get out on camera. (He also founded Sitka prior to selling to Gore)

I live about an hour and a half from the Kuiu showroom so after went to look at their gear and compared to other gear at a similar price point it was a no brainer for me. Of course all of this is personal preference.

I see you are big fan of KUIU. Check out the youtube videos Hairston did on what he packs for his food list. Helped me trim down some weight and have more energy, better sleep, etc.

I watched them awhile back but I definitely need to throw it on the TV with my pack and go through everything I need/don't need and try to save some weight. I could shave about 2 lbs with an Icon Pro 5200...

My biggest effort in terms of weight has been myself, went to an all Keto diet and a combo of Spin Bike, Walk/Runs and hikes.

64/65 covers a lot of different ground. Foothills to some of the steepest and roughest ground in North America. If you're going to the Ridgway / Ouray area, be in shape, and I'd aim to drop 10 lbs from your pack weight and personally I'd be in something rated for 0 degrees at night.

64/65 covers a lot of different ground. Foothills to some of the steepest and roughest ground in North America. If you're going to the Ridgway / Ouray area, be in shape, and I'd aim to drop 10 lbs from your pack weight and personally I'd be in something rated for 0 degrees at night.

Thanks for the heads up!

Thanks for the pointers! Starting to regret buying the skillet! haha

I'm digging the champion puffy!

Careful cooking with those rocks, they tend to explode when moisture inside starts to vaporize. Nothing like seeing your din-din spread out everywhere after one of those events.

Just a suggestion on water filter. Ditch it for a steri pen. I use the MSR system, and ditched it for a steri pen. There is too much to go wrong with the filters/lines freezing or cracking if you drop it (Ask me how I know). Also, get yourself some iodine tablets. They weigh nothing, and if all else fails you can still get water. One last thing, water proof matches and vasoline cotton balls. Nothing is nicer than a fire if you are freezing, and the cotton balls will burn for a long enough to get twigs going.

The rest of your list pretty much is the same as mine. Good luck this fall!

A few things I've added to my pack:

Kuiu roll top dry bags (2 ea size small. 1 for kill kit and 1 for misc. items. I am going to pick up one in a medium to put extra clothes in.) These bags are awesome and keep everything neat and organized, I'm definitely a fan.

Ignite-O fire starters, don't weigh very much and they are Randy approved.

I picked up a couple Sawyer 64 oz bottles and cut the sealed ends off of them, added a nipple to them and picked up some hose to make a gravity feed system. I picked up a couple of the Sawyer quick connect packs and set up my filter so it is actually on my shoulder strap of my pack and can quickly be disconnected and put in the sleeping bag. I can also disconnect the filter and connect one of the bags to gravity water in to the bladder. The hose system has a quick connect on it and a small valve. I also put some 550 paracord on it so it can be hung from a limb or held above the pack. My thought process was that with this setup I should never have to remove the bladder to fill it or to get my filter off to place in the pack. I also added some Katadyn tabs to my "misc" dry bag.

I also picked up a 9x12 plastic sheet and vinyl gloves for my kill kit to keep things clean.

Last edited:
As an alternative to the plastic sheet I carry a one of those foil type "space" blankets. They are very thin, light, compact and relatively inexpensive. So it ends up being multi purpose.

I would be tempted to park the handgun in camp/truck...after all you are carrying a rifle, but I'm a weight miser.

I've opted to not steripen, if your water has any particulates and debris you will still need to filter (/prefilter) or intake the particulate (I don't like gritty or murky water). Steripens operates on "Batteries". Being electrical in nature I would think the unit would subject to dropping/ handling issues. That said I still boil a lot of my water.

Be Safe,

Last edited:
I watched them awhile back but I definitely need to throw it on the TV with my pack and go through everything I need/don't need and try to save some weight. I could shave about 2 lbs with an Icon Pro 5200...

My biggest effort in terms of weight has been myself, went to an all Keto diet and a combo of Spin Bike, Walk/Runs and hikes.

Thumbs up on the keto regimen....

As an alternative to the plastic sheet I carry a one of those foil type "space" blankets. They are very thin, light, compact and relatively inexpensive. So it ends up being multi purpose.

I would be tempted to park the handgun in camp/truck...after all you are carrying a rifle, but I'm a weight miser.

I've opted to not steripen, if your water has any particulates and debris you will still need to filter (/prefilter) or intake the particulate (I don't like gritty or murky water). Steripens operates on "Batteries". Being electrical in nature I would think the unit would subject to dropping/ handling issues. That said I still boil a lot of my water.

Be Safe,

You know i actually have one of those in my garage, thats a good idea. Thanks!

And by this point I think I've decided the pistol is staying home.

Good luck on your hunt. My brother and I were in 65 for 3rd season elk in '17. Definitely recommend being in good physical shape and cutting down on weight as much as possible. The terrain is beautiful but tough!

Good luck on your hunt. My brother and I were in 65 for 3rd season elk in '17. Definitely recommend being in good physical shape and cutting down on weight as much as possible. The terrain is beautiful but tough!

After hearing about application #s this year in CO I'm just hoping we get the chance to go now. When compared to previous years I thought we had a really good shot, now I'm doubtful.

There are no deer in unit 65 any ways lol. If you end up and harvest a buck make sure to get it tested for cwd. They had a mandatory check last season. They found a few that tested positive last year.

After hearing about application #s this year in CO I'm just hoping we get the chance to go now. When compared to previous years I thought we had a really good shot, now I'm doubtful.

Its no cheaper to actually hunt Mule Deer this year than last year, so I highly doubt the "new" people applying are actually putting in for hunts, rather just buying the cheap Preference Point. I wouldn't sweat it. Though, it looked about 50/50 if you didn't have a preference point.

Last edited:
Its no cheaper to actually hunt Mule Deer this year than last year, so I highly doubt the "new" people applying are actually putting in for hunts, rather just buying the cheap Preference Point. I wouldn't sweat it. Though, it looked about 50/50 if you didn't have a preference point.

That's what I'm banking on, I think top had our odds somewhere in the 57% range. Who knows, really do hope we draw though. Between 64 and 65 there looks like there is some good country that should hold some bucks.

Interesting post. I too am hoping to hunt high for mule deer this year in CO. But also sweating on the draw! Good luck, hope you draw.

This is my first year in the draw for deer in Colorado. I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to get a tag being my first time and all. I keep reading that there are going to be less tags this year and I hope that the conservation efforts can keep us hunters with a plentiful stock of tags and a healthy deer population. I applied for a tag because I am going on a 2nd season elk hunt, and the way my luck works I'd be face to face with a monster muley! Either way Ill have an elk tag to fill. I guess we will all know in a week or so. Good luck everyone!

blacksheep

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back