Sous Vide Pan Seared Blacktail Backstrap with Blackberry Sauce

MVRK28

Thought I would share something I did recently that turned out delicious. Feel free to try for yourself!

First I placed the whole backstrap in a bag with a seasoning of my choice, onions, garlic, thyme etc, and two cups of red wine. I let this sit overnight to marinate.

I used my Anova WiFi Sous Vide to cook my backstrap and not run the risk of overcooking it. I placed some garlic, butter and thyme in the bag with it for its water bath. I believe I ran the sous vide around 125 F for 3 hours.

I made the blackberry sauce while the backstrap was cooking, more on that below.

After removing the backstrap from the sous vide I patted it dry and hit it with seasoning prior to searing. (I tend to avoid pepper until after I sear because the high heat burns the pepper corns)

I seared for about 1-2 minutes on each side with olive oil in a cast iron pan, making sure to get it fully seared. After removing from the pan I gave it 5-10 minutes to rest before slicing in to medallions.

Now for the black berry sauce

Recipe (I stole this one from Jess Pryles http://jesspryles.com/recipe/venison-backstrap-with-blackberry-sauce/)

6 oz fresh or frozen blackberries
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
Juice & zest of one lemon
2-4 cloves
1-2 star anise (optional)

To make the sauce - combine berries, sugar, vinegar, zest, juice, cloves and anise in a pan, and bring to boil. Add an optional pinch of salt.
After about 5 minutes of boiling, you should be able to 'smash' the berries on the side of the saucepan using a wooden spoon. Continue rapidly simmering sauce a further 5-10 minutes to thicken.

Here is the finished product:

IMG_0066.jpg

That looks great! I have had a sous vide unit sitting in my Amazon wish list for months. Might be time to buy it. Thanks for sharing.

I've got some antelope backstraps sitting in my freeze waiting for a recipe like this!

Give it a shot! It was really good. My one recommendation that I will do next time is to squeeze the sauce through a mesh strainer. That way you can keep the blackberry seeds out. I didn't even think about this until I sat down and started eating. Flavor wise this was out of bounds.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fishing-Moka
Back