Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

M1 Thumb

Gunner46

Who's had one? When? How many of you even know what it is?

I'll 'fess up and say I had my 1st AND ONLY one at the ripe old age of 9. That was all it took.

I've done it many times I guess I'm a slow learner but I guess the best lessons are the one's learned the hard way. The only one I specifically remember is the first one I was 12 or 13 had just finished cleaning the rifle was playing around when I released the action while my thumb was in the way. Who knew guns could bite. This thread makes me want to shoot my M1 I haven't shot it in over a year.

Last edited:
Been there done that. The college I went to was mandatory ROTC for first 2 years. You can imagine drill time with some guys who had never touched a rifle before let alone a M1.

Haven’t done it myself, and I’ve put thousands of rounds through my M1. But I know lots of guys who are less careful.

My thumbs remain intact after 29 years. I also had this old Fed Ord (non-USGI receiver) Tanker that I had Schuff's Parkerizing out of Michigan convert to his 16-inch Mini-G, this one in .308 Win. Added the Champion synthetic stock, Amega scout scope mount, and Leupold 2.5x scout scope.

20170323_1 - Copy.jpg

Gonna be spending a lot of time hunting down in Grizzly Central north of Yellowstone the next couple of years so I'm thinking of having him re-barrel my full-size Garand in .35 Whelen and adding a similar scope & mount set-up.

That's a sweet rig Cav1!!!

I used to shoot CMP matches at E. NE Gun Club in Omaha with an M1. I never got M1 thumb and if you close the action right, using the "blade" of your hand to "cover" the charging handle as you are thumbing the action (or the top cartridge in the clip) you shouldn't be worried about slamming your thumb in there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back