Sub sonic .308 Round

Dtorbett13

Does anyone have any experience loading a subsonic .308 round for hunting close range whitetail? I have developed a decent round i feel is good, however I am mainly concerned with the bullet, there is just not enough fps or force to expand the bullet.

Current Load

Win brass
CCI L Mag Primer #250
9 gr of Trailboss
180 gr Hornady interlock SP
1030 fps average 3 round tests =/- 7fps

Have you considered a cast bullet? I have a 308 just for cast bullet's Need to chronograph it one of these days but should be around 1700 fps +/-.

Does anyone have any experience loading a subsonic .308 round for hunting close range whitetail? I have developed a decent round i feel is good, however I am mainly concerned with the bullet, there is just not enough fps or force to expand the bullet.

Current Load

Win brass
CCI L Mag Primer #250
9 gr of Trailboss
180 gr Hornady interlock SP
1030 fps average 3 round tests =/- 7fps

I would be tempted to try a softer bullet. Maybe a 170 grain .30-30 bullet, or a Speer BTSP, or maybe even an Amax? I think you're pushing it for most hunting bullets.

I don't think they'll expand. Study up on self defense bullets and you find that it takes premium self defense bullets to... probably..... hopefully....expand at those velocities. If you had to have expansion, then get a handgun round and.choose your bullets wisely.

Get a wide flat nosed bullet. The wider meplat is very efficient on transferring energy. It does not rely on expansion to create shock.

I don't think they'll expand. Study up on self defense bullets and you find that it takes premium self defense bullets to... probably..... hopefully....expand at those velocities. If you had to have expansion, then get a handgun round and.choose your bullets wisely.

I will be testing in gel before any hunting happens to verify the best load for a clean kill.

This is not something I am that familiar with, but I was attracted to the topic and read the responses. I have never seen many 308 subsonic cartridges for sale, but it should be easy enough if you are loading yourself. Alternatively, 300 ACC Blackout has quite a few subsonic options available for purchase. I am not sure about their hunting capabilities, but it was all the rage for AR enthusiasts a couple years ago because of the potential to easily suppress. I am not an AR platform fan, but I almost got a Mini-14 in that caliber.

I could go that route if need be, just figured I would try it with the .308 first as the barrel is already threaded and a bolt action so I don't have to worry about cycling issues. I do know that the 300 AAC was designed to run and cycle with sub sonic, just not a fan.

Last edited:
Not sure the lighter bullets (110 or 120 grain) will be subsonic unless you really download them. Subsonic is around 1100 fps and slower IIRC. Not sure the Barnes will expand at all at those velocities, they require about 1800 fps to expand. Maybe a lead bullet as some have suggested, and use one with a hollow point or flat nose. See what bullets are being used for the 300 Blackout. They have some good sub sonic loads for them, utilizing bullets designed to expand at sub sonic velocities. I think Hornady makes a 190 grain sub sonic load for the 300 Blackout, and the bullet is designated "subsonic-expanding", and the load is listed at 900 fps.
Most of the other .30 cal bullets that would be heavy enough to keep the velocity down (sub-sonic) might be built for bigger game, which means no expansion at your velocity.

Last edited:
MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back