Critique this picture

netman

Friend of a friend sent this picture to me. I called him to get some insight on antelope hunting. He asked me if I wanted to hear a crazy antelope story accompanied by a picture. Darn right I do! So he sends this picture to me. After laughing for fifteen minutes he tells the story.
His uncle took him on a guided antelope hunt out west many years ago. He was 13-14 years old. They meet up with the guide who was described as a redneck in a beat up old truck. They drive around BLMland and the guide would say that’s a good one. The uncle gets out and shoots offhand three or four shots missing the antelope at 400 or so yards. The next antelope the guide points out uncle tells the nephew to give it a try. On the third shot he hits it. The antelope is walking away the guide tells him to run it down and finish it. So he runs after the antelope for a couple hundred yards and takes a shot with the antelope walking straight away. The bullet goes down the spine and knocks one of the horns off. They drag it back to the truck. About a hour later his uncle drops a antelope at or near 400 yards offhand finishing the hunt.
He said the would never hunt antelope again.
AEA73D1E-6086-4448-95C0-021EAC7F546F.jpg

Actually pretty similar to how my grandfather ( from western NY ) described "antelope" hunting when they hired a WY guide in the 1970s.

Everyone piled into the back of the guides truck while he drove around on BLM. When the truck would stop, everyone was told to jump out and shoot.

Nobody got one on their attempt, as far as I know.

After having hunted in WY for pronghorn on an "average" tag last year, I felt very sorry for my grandfather having that as his only pronghorn experience.

It's not just the picture but the whole episode is sad. Unfortunately many time this was the norm back in the day with deer "hunting" too.
I saw a few similar things happen when I was just a kid that got to tag along.

It's not just the picture but the whole episode is sad. Unfortunately many time this was the norm back in the day with deer "hunting" too.
I saw a few similar things happen when I was just a kid that got to tag along.
Come to SW Iowa the first weekend in December.. not much has changed

Come to SW Iowa the first weekend in December.. not much has changed

A guy I used to work with told me that back in the late 70's, opening day in Utah he had to hide behind a tree when the shooting started.

Friend of a friend sent this picture to me. I called him to get some insight on antelope hunting. He asked me if I wanted to hear a crazy antelope story accompanied by a picture. Darn right I do! So he sends this picture to me. After laughing for fifteen minutes he tells the story.
His uncle took him on a guided antelope hunt out west many years ago. He was 13-14 years old. They meet up with the guide who was described as a redneck in a beat up old truck. They drive around BLMland and the guide would say that’s a good one. The uncle gets out and shoots offhand three or four shots missing the antelope at 400 or so yards. The next antelope the guide points out uncle tells the nephew to give it a try. On the third shot he hits it. The antelope is walking away the guide tells him to run it down and finish it. So he runs after the antelope for a couple hundred yards and takes a shot with the antelope walking straight away. The bullet goes down the spine and knocks one of the horns off. They drag it back to the truck. About a hour later his uncle drops a antelope at or near 400 yards offhand finishing the hunt.
He said the would never hunt antelope again.
View attachment 82536

That's too bad, it's so much more than that.

I have a few stories I am not particularly proud of and one thing I can say I think social media (ya I said it...) has actually helped me with. Particularly hunters/photogs like Mark Seacat and Steven Drake and how they depict and tell their stories. That said, these are scrapbook photos and not much else. I certainly wouldn't be posting them to Facebook that's for sure.

That photo is aweful. Reminds me of a buddy that shot a pronghorn with a .300 weatherby magnum in the head (wasn't aiming there). What a mess that was.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back