Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Refresher on WY 'Lope Process

VikingsGuy

For those of us trying to get our hands around the WY non-resident drawing process before the May 31 deadline, I thought I would do an abbreviated re-post of a great and very detailed process flow graciously provided on HT last year by WapitiBob (https://onyourownadventures.com/hunttalk/showthread.php?277414-WY-Draw-Process-Confirmation). I didn't need quite so much detail so I did some deleting and came up with this (still pretty long) non-res "reader's digest version":

. . .

STEP 9: DETERMINE INITIAL QUOTA FOR NONRESIDENT DRAWINGS:

1. Obtain quota balances remaining from nonresident landowner preference point drawing (Step 7).

2. Obtain quota balances remaining from nonresident landowner regular drawing (Step 8).

3. Combine quota balances into a new quota balance for conducting nonresident drawings.

STEP 10-11: DETERMINE QUOTA SPLITS FOR NONRESIDENT SPECIAL AND REGULAR DRAWINGS:

1. Forty percent (40%) of the newly calculated quota from Step 9 are made available for the nonresident special drawing.

2. Sixty percent (60%) of the newly calculated quota from Step 9 are made available for the nonresident regular drawing.

STEP 12-13: DETERMINE QUOTA SPLITS FOR NONRESIDENT SPECIAL DRAWING:

1. Seventy-five percent (75%) (Round UP) of the quota made available for the nonresident special drawing calculated in Step 10-11 is allocated to the nonresident special preference point drawing.

2. Twenty-five percent (25%) of the quota made available for the nonresident special drawing calculated in Step 10-11 is allocated to the nonresident special*random*drawing.

STEP 14: CONDUCT THE NONRESIDENT SPECIAL PREFERENCE POINT DRAWING:

2. Applicants are sorted by their preference point average value (highest to lowest) AND*random*#1 (preference point*random*number) lowest to highest. The result is applicants being grouped by their preference point average value (highest to lowest) and then preference point*random*number, (lowest to highest).*

3. Each applicant's 1st choice hunt area/type selection is checked against the current available quota value. If the application record is a party application, then all applicants within the party are successful and the current quota value is decremented appropriately.

4. Any quota balances remaining from the nonresident special preference point drawing are made available for the nonresident regular drawing initial quota (Step 16).*

Unsuccessful nonresident special applicants have an opportunity to be allocated licenses in the nonresident special*random*drawing (Step 15).*

STEP 15: CONDUCT THE NONRESIDENT SPECIAL*RANDOM*DRAWING:*

2. Applicants are sorted by*random*#2 (random*drawing) lowest to highest.

3. Each applicant's 1st choice hunt area/type selection is checked against the current available quota value. If the application record is a party application, then all applicants within the party are successful and the current quota value is decremented appropriately.

4. Upon concluding a review of each applicant in the current drawing having their 1st choice reviewed for quota allocation, the process is repeated reviewing the 2nd choice selection in the same sort order used for the 1st choice review.

5. Upon concluding the review of each applicant in the current drawing having their 1st choice and 2nd choice reviewed for quota allocation, the process is repeated reviewing the 3rd choice selection in the same sort order for the 1st and 2nd choice review.

6. Any quota balances remaining from the nonresident special*random*drawings are made available for the nonresident regular drawing (Step 16).*

Unsuccessful nonresident special applicants have an opportunity to be allocated licenses remaining from the nonresident regular drawings after the unsuccessful resident applications have had the first opportunity for any unallocated quota balances (Step 23).*

STEP 16: DETERMINE INITIAL QUOTA FOR NONRESIDENT REGULAR DRAWING:

1. Obtain quota balances remaining from nonresident special preference point drawing (Step 14).

2. Obtain quota balances remaining from nonresident special regular drawing (Step 15).

3. Obtain quota available from the initial nonresident regular allocation sixty percent (60%) (step 11).

4. Combine quota balances into a new initial quota balance for conducting nonresident regular drawings.

STEP 17: DETERMINE QUOTA SPLIT FOR THE NONRESIDENT REGULAR PREFERENCE POINT DRAWING:

1. Seventy-five percent (75%) (Round UP) of the newly calculated quota from Step 16 made available for the nonresident drawing is allocated to the nonresident regular preference point drawing.

2. Reports are generated to verify that the quota values to be used for the nonresident regular preference point drawings are correct.

STEP 18: CONDUCT THE NONRESIDENT REGULAR PREFERENCE POINT DRAWING:

2. Applicants are sorted by their preference point average value (highest to lowest) AND*random*#1 (preference point*random*number) lowest to highest. The result is applicants being grouped by their preference point average value (highest to lowest) and then preference point*random*number, (lowest to highest).*

4. Any quota balances remaining from the nonresident regular preference point drawing are made available for the 2nd pass of resident and nonresident unsuccessful applications upon conclusion of the nonresident regular drawings (Step 21).*

Unsuccessful nonresident preference point applicants have an opportunity to be allocated licenses in the nonresident regular*random*drawing (Step 20).*

STEP 19: DETERMINE INITIAL QUOTA FOR NONRESIDENT REGULAR*RANDOM*DRAWING:

1. Twenty-five percent (25%) (Round DOWN) of the newly calculated quota from Step 16 made available for the nonresident drawing is allocated to the nonresident regular*random*drawing.

2. Reports are generated to verify that the quota values to be used for the nonresident regular*random*drawings are correct.

STEP 20: CONDUCT THE NONRESIDENT REGULAR*RANDOM*DRAWING:

4. Upon concluding a review of each applicant in the current drawing having their 1st choice reviewed for quota allocation, the process is repeated reviewing the 2nd choice selection in the same sort order used for the 1st choice review.

5. Upon concluding the review of each applicant in the current drawing having their 1st choice and 2nd choice reviewed for quota allocation, the process is repeated reviewing the 3rd choice selection in the same sort order for the 1st and 2nd choice review.

6. Any quota balances remaining from the nonresident regular*random*drawings are made available for a second pass of unsuccessful resident and nonresident applicants (Steps 22-24).

Unsuccessful nonresident regular applicants have an opportunity to be allocated licenses remaining from the nonresident drawings after the unsuccessful resident applications and unsuccessful nonresident special applicants have had the first opportunity for any unallocated quota balances.*

STEP 21: CALCULATE QUOTA AVAILABLE FOR 2ND PASS DRAWINGS:

1. Obtain quota balances remaining from nonresident regular preference point drawing (Step 18).

2. Obtain quota balances remaining from nonresident regular*random*drawing (Step 20).

3. Combine quota balances into a new quota balance available for conducting the 2nd pass drawings.*

4. Reports are generated to verify that the quota values to be used for the 2nd pass drawings.

STEP 22: CONDUCT THE 2ND PASS RESIDENT DRAWING:

1. Obtain unsuccessful applications with the appropriate fee type for the 2nd pass resident drawing.
RA-resident antelope

6. Any quota balances remaining from the 2nd pass resident drawing are made available for the nonresident special 2nd pass drawing (Step 23).*

Unsuccessful resident applicants have no further opportunity to be allocated licenses.*

STEP 23: CONDUCT THE NONRESIDENT SPECIAL 2ND PASS DRAWING:

6. Any quota balances remaining from the 2nd pass nonresident special drawing are made available for the nonresident regular 2nd pass drawing (Step 24).*

Unsuccessful nonresident special applicants have no further opportunity to be allocated licenses.*

STEP 24: CONDUCT THE NONRESIDENT REGULAR 2ND PASS DRAWING:

6. Any quota balances remaining from the 2nd pass nonresident regular drawing are made available for leftover license sales on a first-come, first-served basis on annually scheduled date in mid-July via online sales, all department offices or at local license selling agent locations throughout the state.*

Unsuccessful nonresident regular applicants have no further opportunity to be allocated licenses.*

I'm glad you posted this. I was wondering how it was broke down.

First time app question. I am definitely going to fill out app for my daughter but her cousin might be coming also ( trying to line everything up with her parents). If I fill out the app tonight and put my daughter as “ party organizer” the cousin could apply anytime after that, up until May 31st and join the “party” with the unique number my daughter will be assigned? Well what if the cousin can’t go and doesn’t fill out the app. Even though my daughter applied as a party organizer ( and no one joined the party) will they just apply my daughters points and treat her app like an individual app? Thanks.

Interesting how the party app gets you as many bites at the apple as are in your group and if any of you draw then the rest get tags even if quota would be exceeded. A slight edge thus goes to applying as a party if all have the same points before join into a party.

Interesting how the party app gets you as many bites at the apple as are in your group and if any of you draw then the rest get tags even if quota would be exceeded. A slight edge thus goes to applying as a party if all have the same points before join into a party.

I agree that if there are only 2 tags left but the next drawn number is a 4 person party that WY will issue 4 tags, which is nice. But I do not believe a 4 person party gets 4 bites at the apple, as the WY regs say all 4 hunters in a party are assigned the same randomized number. As I read the regs, 4 guys applying separately get 4 individual bites at the apple, but 4 guys in a party get one bite at 4 apples. As such, any party has the same odds as any one solo applicant, not multiples of that.

If 4 guys wanted to spend a week outdoors hanging out and didn't care how many of them got tags, so long as at least 1 did (and the others would be happy to be tag-less sherpas if they didn't draw), they would be better off each applying separately as I understand the system.

First time app question. I am definitely going to fill out app for my daughter but her cousin might be coming also ( trying to line everything up with her parents). If I fill out the app tonight and put my daughter as “ party organizer” the cousin could apply anytime after that, up until May 31st and join the “party” with the unique number my daughter will be assigned? Well what if the cousin can’t go and doesn’t fill out the app. Even though my daughter applied as a party organizer ( and no one joined the party) will they just apply my daughters points and treat her app like an individual app? Thanks.

Good question. As my buddies did join my party I didn't look into that scenario, but, I assume that your daughter would be fine as I believe each party applicant is assigned a common randomized number based on the party leader, so your daughter would get a number and if that number gets draw your daughter would get a tag - but you may want to confirm with WY F&G.

Each party is assigned a random number same as an individual applicant. If the party's random number is "drawn" then all the applicants in a party will be issued a license; if the individual applicants random number is drawn that person will be issued a license.

Parties and individuals have the same odds of drawing a license when entered in the same draw pool. There is no advantage, odds wise, to apply as a party.

ClearCreek

HankG, your daughter will not be treated any differently as the party organizer.

Party members are not combined within the draw process, rather, when you apply and choose to become a "party member", you are assigned the same random number as the party organizer, and your points are averaged. As more members join the group, your points are continually averaged. The computer will rank you, individually, by points and random number. Because every member has the same point total and random number, you are listed sequentially in the database. The only real difference at that point between a party and individual is that a party of more than 6 can get bounced when not enough licenses are available.
Your daughter will have a party ID assigned but will have a "party count" of one.

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, a party has no better chance at a tag than an individual application. Also, I have no idea why WB made that last statement because no more than 6 individuals can sign up as a party.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back