Caribou Gear

Perch!

I'm sure I could arrange a day for you and I to go up and get some of these big ones.... ;)
Matt

I wish I could. I can't get away from my irrigation right now and I still need to get my boat ready for the season. A few small boats have been launching from shore and catching the nicest crappie I've seen in several years. Thanks for the offer.

Nice perch there, reminds me of fishing in lake Michigan in the 50's with my dad. We caught 5 gallon buckets full of perch, that was when there actually were perch in the big pond.

I agree !!!
I remember taking the Boat out of AuGres River and bring back a cooler full of Jumbos !!
Wow miss the good old days !

I wish I could. I can't get away from my irrigation right now and I still need to get my boat ready for the season. A few small boats have been launching from shore and catching the nicest crappie I've seen in several years. Thanks for the offer.

That’s what I’ve heard! A lot of crappies 11-13 inches! When the water comes up some I plan on towing the boat over and catch some.
Matt

Good looking crappie's.... they spawning yet?
Matt

Yes ,they're moving in. Those are all white crappie except for the one on the middle right. The males get really dark during the spawn and the females are really bright. The black crappie may have mostly spawned already, not sure.

Yes ,they're moving in. Those are all white crappie except for the one on the middle right. The males get really dark during the spawn and the females are really bright. The black crappie may have mostly spawned already, not sure.

Gotcha, I think I will be over there shooting some carp next week and some crappie fishing. Are you catching them in the Powder arm or up the reservoir further?
Matt

Gotcha, I think I will be over there shooting some carp next week and some crappie fishing. Are you catching them in the Powder arm or up the reservoir further?
Matt

I fished out on the Snake but they're catching them in the Powder also. I have my first charter tomorrow and will start upriver on the Snake and fish my way back.

The males turn black at spawn, after the females lay their eggs, the males stay near shore to protect the eggs. The black color helps camouflage them from would be predators. It's also referred to putting on their "tuxedo" to court the ladies. Nice haul

Last edited:
The Gills have any size to them? I love gill fishing, we found some in the back of a cove spawning last year but they were all small.
Matt

These were just barely keepers. Late summer, early fall is when I target them in deeper water. That time of year they're schooled up and the fillet is nice and thick.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back