Camo Pattern Help

fmnjr

I'm in the AOH group, older, but still a novice to big game hunting. Been spending $$ on gear, guns, ammo, accessories, etc, etc, like there's no tomorrow....somehow I lucked out and got a great deal on a MR Metcalf in Optifade Subalpine pattern. Sitka, of course, makes clothing gear to match but I'm thinking it may not be worth the outlay to buy gear just to match the MR, setting coolness factors aside. What I'd like to find out is whether any competitors make comparable clothing gear to Sitka's Optifade Subalpine stuff, but maybe not quite as spendy?

I'm an AOH as well, did the whole camo gear purchase for the first 3-4 years and now I'm slowing switching back to solids when I have to upgrade a piece of gear. I now only use camo for turkey, waterfowl, and archery elk... and for archery elk mostly just a shirt/ hoodie and face mask.

That being said Kuiu and First Lite are the other two companies that I would put into the same category as sitka. I would say I like Kuiu best for synthetics, socks, and their attack pants are great for early season hunting (and kuiu is the most affordable all around), the sitka timberline pants and jetstream jacket are the best pants and soft shell on the market in my opinion, first lite is the way to go for merino base layers. For down jackets/ vests and rain gear I wouldn't was your time with hunting companies and would go with Rab, outdoor research, arc'teryx, and patagonia (just get something brown or green)

So is the question is Sitka worth the money? Then, yes. If the question is, should I retool all my camo to match the pack? Then, no.

There is comparable clothing out there: First Light, Kuiu, etc. You'll have to look to see what fits you and what you like for features. Personally, I am a fan of Sitka becuase it works. It's not cheap, but it lasts, they stand behind their products, they are the real deal on conservation/public land issues, and they are a Montana company. You can find deals on ebay and online forums.

I myself will be matching my Metcalf in Subalpine, but not because of the pack. I like the subalpine pattern very much, my pack just happened to be available in that pattern so I got one (needed it anyway).

I would also tell you that I have a special interest in AOH. Let me know via pm if you need anything else.

For rifle hunting, I’d rank the importance of camo on the same scale as making sure my socks match. Sitka is great stuff.

I'm an AOH as well, did the whole camo gear purchase for the first 3-4 years and now I'm slowing switching back to solids when I have to upgrade a piece of gear. I now only use camo for turkey, waterfowl, and archery elk... and for archery elk mostly just a shirt/ hoodie and face mask.

That being said Kuiu and First Lite are the other two companies that I would put into the same category as sitka. I would say I like Kuiu best for synthetics, socks, and their attack pants are great for early season hunting (and kuiu is the most affordable all around), the sitka timberline pants and jetstream jacket are the best pants and soft shell on the market in my opinion, first lite is the way to go for merino base layers. For down jackets/ vests and rain gear I wouldn't was your time with hunting companies and would go with Rab, outdoor research, arc'teryx, and patagonia (just get something brown or green)

Certainly it sounds like you've trod the path I'm going already so it's great to hear how things evolved with your gear selections and to get feedback on other mfrs. I've got some more research to do it seems.

So is the question is Sitka worth the money? Then, yes. If the question is, should I retool all my camo to match the pack? Then, no.

There is comparable clothing out there: First Light, Kuiu, etc. You'll have to look to see what fits you and what you like for features. Personally, I am a fan of Sitka becuase it works. It's not cheap, but it lasts, they stand behind their products, they are the real deal on conservation/public land issues, and they are a Montana company. You can find deals on ebay and online forums.

I myself will be matching my Metcalf in Subalpine, but not because of the pack. I like the subalpine pattern very much, my pack just happened to be available in that pattern so I got one (needed it anyway).

I would also tell you that I have a special interest in AOH. Let me know via pm if you need anything else.

I know sitka is recognized and dominant in the industry, and the reasons for that are pretty good. Everyone, almost, likes the quality, consistency and tech that goes into their gear. My MR purchase took place before I knew anything about the part sitka played in the pattern choice I made when buying it. Mtn Archery offered me any choice I wanted because the one that was on sale was no longer available. So I chose Subalpine simply because I liked it and now, instead of having a hodgepodge of gear, I'm analyzing if it makes sense to buy sitka's matching gear. Going to buy gear in any case, so it's a case of "buy once, cry once" or not. If I can get the implied years of performance out of their stuff , pulling the trigger might make sense.

For rifle hunting, I’d rank the importance of camo on the same scale as making sure my socks match. Sitka is great stuff.

Thanks for reminder that I'm not just buying for rifle hunting, archery equipment is on next year's budget. This year's is already maxed.....and I haven't even gone hunting yet :)

Like others said for rifle hunting who cares buy solids mix and match plus solids are cheaper, if you bowhunt different story. Green and Browns look just as good.

High end clothes-Sitka, Kuiu (gross), First Lite

Slightly below high end-Skre

Moderately priced clothes that work-Cabelas stuff is pretty nice but it's a lot of cotton, LL Bean, Eddie Bauer and Prana make great active wear and their pants are awesome for hunting (Prana Zions & EB Guide stuff)

Also never be afraid of looking at the hiking clothing companies, make nice stuff that won't cost you a grand for clothes.

That being said I don't see the need to completely match clothes with a pack, not necessary. I always get whatever is on sale and mix/match as needed. I personally own Prana, EB, LL Bean, First Lite and Cabelas stuff.

Cotton stuff, like it very much but of course it doesn't work well for the conditions at hand.

Haven't seen any comments about UA stuff, no bueno?

Last edited:
So you only rifle hunt?

No but if you read the first post guns and ammo were the only equipment discussed so I inferred that archery was not included. I archery hunt in Duluth trading duluthflex dry on the fly pants. My shirt might be a western camo pattern in a light merino or synthetic blend

I was implying that you don't need to drop a shitload of cash on camo just because it matches you backpack.

No but if you read the first post guns and ammo were the only equipment discussed so I inferred that archery was not included. I archery hunt in Duluth trading duluthflex dry on the fly pants. My shirt might be a western camo pattern in a light merino or synthetic blend

I was implying that you don't need to drop a shitload of cash on camo just because it matches you backpack.

Gotcha....in any case, I've been sucked in already for rifle gear and archery purchases are just around the corner....so what's a bit more $$ hurt after all given that the right gear will end up costing little when based upon a per year used basis? I may end up being one of those people you see on the trail looking like I stepped out of a Sitka ad.

Here's my deal on the camo thing.

Many moons ago we had a guy in & out of our camp that just had to have the latest & greatest everything. Now, taking into account he'd never notched a tag, he was annoyingly vocal about the inferiority of the rest of the camp members equipment. Well, one weekend hunt we were all around the fire pit during archery season and 2/3's the way through a 12 pack each ....and then he starts up again.

I was getting pretty tired of his BS, so I pipe up and pose a Gentleman's $1 bet. The next weekend he could wear any camo he wanted, use any gear he wanted. I'd wear my black jeans and a Hawaiian floral shirt over my long sleeve green t-shirt and hunt with my $40 pawn shop Darton bow. Winner was the one who tagged the bigger buck/ heavier doe/ or just tagged. Game on !

9AM Sat morning I'm back at the skinning shed with a small 6 pt doing my thing with the 110. Sunday night, tagless, he forks over a George Washington to me in front of whole camp.

Nowadays I just hunt with as cheap as I can find military surplus stuff, mostly Eastern Europe stuff. Works just as well as the Hawaiian shirt. :)

Camo cannot make up for movement at the wrong time or not watching the wind. Fred Bear, Glenn St Charles and others did okay with the recurve and what ever they had at the time to wear.

Dan

1. You need to match camo and pack with same camo pattern
2. You need to pick up a 6.5 Creedmoor
3. Spend money on your hair. A man bun will make your Creedmoor shoot tighter groups, make people more likely to help you if your truck breaks down, and help you optimize the digital confusion thrown off by your camo. There's just something special about the bun that makes it all work synergistically. Science will confirm this by the end of the summer.
4. Face paint - gotta have it even if you have a beard. Not sure on how to apply? Just watch some outdoor TV
5. Scent killer - spray down, especially after making a #2

6. Have fun

It seems as if you've already decided, but my recommendation would be to buy the material, not the pattern.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back