Finding the right factory ammo

JJC

Took new 30-06 to the range to sight in and test drive 180 gr Win Balliistic Silver Tip and Hornady SST.

Winchester was better and now wondering if I should try Nosler Accubond, too. See if 1” is as good as it’s gonna get with my skills.

The question is if the BC and all the stats are virtually identical to the Win BST, should I expect any different results from the AB?

I’ll add my expected use is deer and elk out to 300 yds.

Thanks

Sako A7
24” 1/11
VX-5

Welcome to the Forums.

Ballistic performance out to that distance will be negligibly the same. What more do you want than MOA? Where you will see difference is in the terminal difference. But again, SST vs AB will both perform very similar.

I wouldn't trust a ballistic tip as far as I could throw it at an elk. I wouldn't use them at all quite frankly. Accubond would be a much better choice.

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust a ballistic tip as far as I could throw it at an elk. I wouldn't use them at all quite frankly. Accubond would be a much better choice.
Not all Ballistic Tips are made the same. I'd have no trouble using the 180gr out of a 30-06 on elk.

I had good luck with 165 grain Federal Fusions out of my 30-06 before I started hand loading. They are accurate, deadly, and the price is awesome.

I wouldn't use sst. I have seen 3 deer shot with them from 50 to 300yd and they all acted like varmint rounds. This was 150gr. Out of a .270.

When I did my work ups I found that the two were very close out to about the 600 yard mark. With that being said I load the Accubonds to hunt with and Shoot the SST at paper. I will still load a few extra Accubonds to shoot at paper before season to make sure everything is still true with the load workup.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RAWMIA
Back