PEAX Equipment

CDs or LR reticle

Trott2478

I have a tikka 300wm that I am taking to New Mexico elk hunting 16e. I have two scope options, a vx-1 3-12 with the ballistic drop reticle, other option is a vex-2 cds, I would have to get a dial built for, also 3-12. I could just put original dial back on and figure out bullet drop and make a chart, what would you do?

Cds or LR reticle

I would tell you to use the system that will help you shoot the most accurate. As hunters we owe that to the animals we hunt.

Last edited:
I'd go with the VX-2 use the MOA dial and go to the range and shoot the load your going to hunt with and get the drop info. That will also let you know how you do at longer ranges. It may be an eye opening experience.

Dan

I am probably in the minority but the most recent scope I purchased I went with the LR reticle. I am just not comfortable changing the dials in the field. I know it works I just prefer not to. Now the issue you will have is the LR only works for the long range reticle if you have the scope on max power. The other issue is it most likely will not match your exact trajectory. You have to shoot it with your load to determine what the aiming points represent. The game animals don't stand at even yardage increments anyway. Mine with my 140 grain loads in my 7 mag work out to be slightly over the 300,400 and 500 yard aiming points. A different load with things could be a lot less than the 300, 400 and 500 yard aiming points. You have to shoot to know. Once you know you develop a cheat sheet and tape it to your gun.
Now I have had this scope for 3 deer seasons and have not used the LR reticle yet. I have taken 3 bucks with it so far and 210 yards was the furthest shot so no need to worry about using the other aiming points.
With the aiming points I figure it is better than we all used to do which was to figure out the yardage and hold over as much as we needed to if any. It worked fine for many years.

Love my Zeiss Conquest w/LR . I was trained with a xmas tree reticle so this is no brainer for me.
Yeah I have to kick up power if I am using it & aiming past 200yrds.But I know where I am aiming is spot on.
I used same principal on my Leupold LR reticles knowing where certain points were, after practice.
I played with some dials & chose not to.

How far do you plan on shooting? A 250 yard zero you can shoot high shoulder on an elk out to 350 or so yards and it's only like a 16 inch drop at 400. That's what I do with my .300 wm

Whichever method you're more comfortable with is the best one, both ways can be very effective. If you use a dial make sure you have verified data when the turret is made. Also, there are labels you can have made and put on your existing turret for less money, then if it just isn't what you like you're not out much. I've used Custom Turret Systems before and was happy with their product.

I have the LR reticle on a 4-12 VX2 on my .300 hunting rifle and also on my 3-9 VX1I have on my .243 practice rifle. I've also used a dial version BSA scope (sweet .243). If you are shooting past 400 yards, go with the dial version. Otherwise, not sure it matters. I don't like the dial version. The turret on the BSA always got bumped which might not be an issue with the Leupold. I'd often forget to adjust it which isn't an issue with the multiple dots because the dots remind you to use the right one. My only issue with the LR is the dots are too big. It's precisely the long shots you would want a fine hashmark and yet it has big dots.

I think I have decided on the dial, I plan to practice out to atleast 600 yards, and will scale back actual range to whatever distance I am proficient at. Most of my shooting experience is with shotgun and muzzle loafers on Deer, out to 225 yards, this takes a decent amount of skill in judging bullet drop, what worries me at this point is wind drift. I plan to get the wind calculator that plugs data directly to smart phone and practice with this all summer.

I havent used Leupolds LR reticle but have used others and was never a fan of using them. The numbers never came out to usable distances at the designated hash marks and I always felt like there was just too much guessing between the hash marks and hold over. I've switched to a dial system and love it. Its simple and accurate.

With a Leupold, CDS vs LR reticle doesn't have to be an either/or thing. You can have both.

That said, I think I'd like the CDS + Windplex the best.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back