Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

New Mexico unit 16a elk!

How are the roads in 16 a. I really don't want to haul an Atv if not totally necessary I hunted unit 50 last year and couldn't get back to camp one night

How are the roads in 16 a. I really don't want to haul an Atv if not totally necessary I hunted unit 50 last year and couldn't get back to camp one night

Not entirely sure yet, I plan on heading that way in July to scope the place out, from what I’ve gathered from hunters that have been there the past couple years is that the roads aren’t too terrible, nothing a normal 4 wheel drive can’t handle.

If it rains the roads will be bad....

Am I right or wrong to assume that the type of dirt/clay in the SW will dry up soon after rain? From my experience in similar ground types in parts of where I live a good rain will make it impossible to drive the day of but sometimes within 12 hours and a good wind the roads dry fast....curious on your thoughts.

Am I right or wrong to assume that the type of dirt/clay in the SW will dry up soon after rain? From my experience in similar ground types in parts of where I live a good rain will make it impossible to drive the day of but sometimes within 12 hours and a good wind the roads dry fast....curious on your thoughts.

Just depends on the soil and terrain - and the forest service's road maintenance budget. There's a lot of clay in New Mexico, and the only two times I've been stuck in the state due to mud has been in the Gila hunting elk. There seems to be a mud hole or two on every side road that can take forever to dry out. I killed my first bull in the Gila driving a Hyundai accent to the trailhead in 2012. There hasn't been another year since that I'd have made it to the trailhead and back in that little car. Most of that is due to no side road maintenance, but other years, it's so wet that you'll drive out of there with yards of mud stuck in your wheel wells.

Most days, if I wait an hr or less I can drive. Some storms I just get out or I will be stuck.
2 yrs ago, 2 main roads in had been rebuilt from total wash outs,& they got washed out again.
I know of 5 trucks stuck up there for a month til they could be recovered.
We have special mud for those that do not know their limitations....

Thanks for the info on the roads I have a four wheel drive. Actually I have no use for anything that isn’t just not one to want to tear up my vehicle either or get stuck 2,000 miles from anyone I know

Thanks

Thanks guys, how about road closures? Does forest service shut many gates in the Gila in October, based off the dirt and logging roads I see on my topo maps? I plan to call the ranger district this summer.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back